4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2011 6:14 AM by Steve Werner

    a layer for spot uv printing?!

    becky1131 Level 1

      Afternoon all,


      Im sending a piece of work to printers which is done in Indesign, and there are 5 photographs on the front that i would like printed in spot uv so theyre nice and glossy and stand out.


      So they have told me i need to create a seperate layer for this, im not sure what thay mean or how exactly to do it, as i have finished the design already..

      do i need to go back and change it somehow??


      If anyone could help, would be muchly appreciated!






        • 1. Re: a layer for spot uv printing?!
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

          Make a new layer on top.


          Add a new SPOT color for varnish -- it doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it's a spot color, and you should name if Varnish to avoid confusion.


          Draw frames on the new layer where you want the varnish and fill them with the new spot color.


          VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!! These frames MUST be set to overprint or they will obliterate your photos. Window > Output > Attributes in CS5.5, but I think it may be directly under the Window menu in earlier verisons, and chck the Overprint Fill box. You may also want to define this as an Object Style that you can assign to the varnish frames. Both the color and the overprint attribute can be set in the Fill section of the style definition.


          You'll probably want to turn off the varnish layer for proofing, but it needs to be there for separations. My instinct would be to export with Acrobat 6 or higher compatibility to maintain the layers.

          • 2. Re: a layer for spot uv printing?!
            becky1131 Level 1

            wow sounds quite complicated, thank you tho.. Do the printers usually

            do this for you or is it normal to do it yourself first, as I dont want to mess it up and anything go wrong?!

            • 3. Re: a layer for spot uv printing?!
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

              Ask your printer. They should do it but there may be extra charges. It's not an uncommon procedure and not too difficult to learn.

              • 4. Re: a layer for spot uv printing?!
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

                Sounds more complicated than it is. Good thing to know how to do, though (along with how to make die lines for die-cut projects, which is pretty much the same thing with stokes instead of fills), so you might want to make a copy of your file and give it a try.


                Some printers like to do it themselves, some want you to do it first. Talk to them.