4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2011 4:07 AM by ZebDes

Is InDesign causing epub validation warnings?

Kratos27

Hi, I'm creating a book solely for use on the Apple iBooks store.

I used InDesign Cs5.5 on PC, created an epub, unzipped it to edit the html and css, and rezipped. When I put it through the validator I got these Warnings:-

WARNING: Book1b.epub: 
         resource OEBPS/fonts/MinionPro-Bold.otf cannot be decrypted 

resource OEBPS/fonts/MinionPro-Regular.otf cannot be decrypted 

item (iTunesMetadata.plist) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file

I've noticed these are warnings and not errors, doing some surfing some people believe this is ok. When I submit to Apple will it still pass the epub test, and if not is there an easy way to remedy these warnings?

I've learnt that when exporting a file out of Indesign there is an option to uncheck Include Embeddable Fonts, so using Indesign i made a version with this box unchecked. Then I copied my updated html files into this version. There is now no fonts folder in the epub, and no mention of it in the .opf file.  It all seems okay but I'm concerned that it may cause problems that I'm not aware of, and whether my book have the font I chose as the default.

Which version of my book is the right one to submit to Apple, the one with the embeddable fonts or the one without?

Any help appreciated. Thank you!