5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2011 10:29 PM by rphox2003

RH8: Style Sheets Issue

rphox2003 Level 1

I inherited an RH8 project from another writer and now I'm trying to make some sense out of it.

My latest issue:

When I expand the Style Sheets folder in the Project Manager pod, there are 2 CSS files plus about 15 subfolders. The folders seem to have the names of some of the books in the TOC, but delimited with underscores. Also, there are obviously many more books in the TOC than subfolders in the Style Sheets folder.

When I right-click one of the subfolders and select Explore, they all contain image files and one FPJ file. Each FPJ contains only:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
      <rhpml majorversion="3" minorversion="0">
      </rhpml>

Further, the image filenames are sequential (such as image002.gif, image003.gif, and so on) and they repeat in the different subfolders. But image002 in one subfolder is a different image than image002 in another subfolder.

Any ideas what's going on here? Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: RH8: Style Sheets Issue
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

In Project Manager try toggling the first icon so that you see the real folders rather than RoboHelp's traditional "folders" that separate the different resources.

Then you will see real folders with the topics, images, CSS files etc that are in the folder.

Image names are like any other file, you can use the same name for different files as long as they are in different folders. It sounds like images have been pasted in and saved with no attempt to apply meaningful names. You can right click an image in Project Manager and rename it. RoboHelp will amend topics as needed.

The FPJ will be as you describe if the folder only contains images. If it contains topics and / or folders, they should be listed and if they are not, then you will see broken links. That is a sign that the project has been opened in RoboHelp 8 on a machine that has not had the 802 patch applied. If you have that problem, then see Opening Projects on my site.

Books are not linked to folders. You can create a TOC with the same structure but there is no link. The TOC is what you make it.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 2. Re: RH8: Style Sheets Issue
            rphox2003 Level 1

They are "real" folders because I can acess them in Windows Explorer.

If I right-click on the folders in the Project Manager, one of the following occurs:

• The Delete option is disabled.
            • The Delete option is enabled. But when I select it, I get a confirmation message that the folder and all contents will be deleted. I can click OK and it's deleted.
            • The Delete option is enabled. But when I select it, the folder is deleted without the confirmation message.

If these are "man-made" folders, can I safely delete them?

• 3. Re: RH8: Style Sheets Issue
              Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Before you do any deleting, make a backup copy of your project.

Then yes you can delete the folders using Project Manager. Do not delete using Windows Explorer. Where the Delete option is disabled, it is because there is some content that RoboHelp is protecting you from deleting. Investigate why.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 4. Re: RH8: Style Sheets Issue
                rphox2003 Level 1

I backed up first thing, thanks.

I deleted the files with the Delete disabled using Windows Explorer, but then when I started RH, I got a notice for each one that the file was missing and would be created. And it created each file - without the images that were in them but with the FPJ files.

I then generated a new CHM without any problem.

So why does RH keep generating these folders? How can I find out where they're coming from?

Again, thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: RH8: Style Sheets Issue
                  rphox2003 Level 1

I think I've found the problem. Thanks again for your time.