9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2011 11:31 AM by Rick Gerard

My Re-creation of Lightsaber - Difficulties With Blend Modes

Bushy162 Level 1

I'm trying to replicate the Phantom Menace lightsaber effect. I've found the following two frames:

Not switched on                                                                                     Switched on

Screen shot 2011-09-12 at 16.52.24.pngScreen shot 2011-09-12 at 17.16.05.png

I then put my effect on this background (left), and tried to get it the same as the actual one (right).

My resources are Blend Modes, Solid Layers (masked) and Fast Blur.  However, I can't do it.  The best that I've come up with is this:

Screen shot 2011-09-12 at 17.24.27.png

The actual similarity is very small, although they may look very similar.  My problem is that I can't achieve what I want with the blend modes. For example, notice how in the original version, the blue along the metal strip/girder just behind the lightsaber  avoids the bit around the white core - it stops there.  How did they do this?  I discovered that Lighter Color sort of achieves this, but the look of the blue is then severely compromised.

Is it possible to somehow COMBINE Blend Modes?  (to get the best of both modes)

Please Could you Help,

Thank you.

Harry.