4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2011 11:24 AM by Colin Brougham

Multi-Channel audio playback in Trim Window

Troy Vaupel

I have clips with multiple channels of audio in my trim window, but I can only hear channel one through my speakers. I am sure this is a setting, but cannot find anywhere to enable mulit-channel playback. Checked preferences and other menu boxes but cannot find it.

Could someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Multi-Channel audio playback in Trim Window
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Are you talking about the Trim Monitor or the Source Monitor?

• 2. Re: Multi-Channel audio playback in Trim Window
            Troy Vaupel Level 1

Source monitor. Thanks for asking.

• 3. Re: Multi-Channel audio playback in Trim Window
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Thought that might be the case...

Unfortunately, this is a big "miss" in Premiere Pro--multichannel  assets can't be previewed with all channels. More specifically, you  can't preview more than one channel at a time. In the Source Monitor's  Audio Waveform view, however, you can select one of the channels  (labeled "Track" there) to preview from the Track dropdown. Sadly, this  isn't sticky, so you have to change it from clip to clip--it's very  annoying. I'd suggest making a feature request for better monitoring and control of multichannel audio here: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

My usual workaround is to actually use a scratch sequence as sort of a sandbox for multichannel clips. I drop them all in one sequence, trim and break them up, and rename the clip instances there. I then either duplicate that sequence and use it as a working sequence, or I copy clip instances from that sequence to another. You can also set up a workspace with two or more Timeline panels, so you can easily drag clips from one sequence to another. It's not a perfect workaround, but until we get better monitoring capabilities, it's the best solution I've been able to come up with.

• 4. Re: Multi-Channel audio playback in Trim Window
                Troy Vaupel Level 1

Thanks for the feedback. Your solution is typically my workflow. It's a very rare occurance when I need to hear anything other than Channel 1 audio, just happens to be the case today.

Also, thanks for the feature request link. There are a few things I'd like to see Adobe incorporate. Mostly incorporating P2Card file support in Adobe Bridge.