5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2011 11:31 AM by hypercite

Mac Pro3,1 (2008) 3,2 GHz - vs - Mac Pro4,1 (2009) 2,226 GHz

hypercite

Hi guys!
      Im upgrading some stuff at work and need some advice.
      I have two mac Pros one from 2008 3,2 ghz and one from 2009.
      I am getting more RAM and a new graphics card.

But just for one of them however I dont know which one that has the best processor.
      Ill be using the adobe suit and mostly after effects.
      Im betting the 2008 is better because of the processor but Im not sure.
      The 2009 offers higher RAM speed and im not sure what will be my bottleneck.

1:
      2008 model with dual 3,2 processors.
      So dual quad core intel xeon. SystemBus 1,6 GHz and cashe 12mb.
      8 gb ram. 800 MHz
      Nvidia GT 120 512MB

2:
      2009 model with dual 2,26 processors.
      Dual quad core intel xeon. SystemBus QPI L3 cashe 8 MB per sore.
      8 gb ram. 1066 MHz
      Nvidia GT120 512MB

So the biggest difference is the processors and the RAM speed.
      And I am just thinking of starting with an uppgrade of RAM.
      So I want to know. Which of these computers will run After Effects fastest if I uppgrade to 24 GB of RAM?

Any advice?

dew

• 1. Re: Mac Pro3,1 (2008) 3,2 GHz - vs - Mac Pro4,1 (2009) 2,226 GHz
          bogiesan Level 4

I was wiating to see if anyone else would jump in. You're not going to see any tangible difference between these two machines. You can research RAM for After Effects and you'll see it gives you some advantages but a rendering speed bump is not one of them. The older mahcine may have 150% faster CPUs but you dont' see your rending times cut in half.

The chimera of rendering improvements remains uncatchable especially with outdated (not obsolete) hardware.

The currently avaialble12-core Macs are designed to take advantage of everything Lion can offer. But I have not seen realworld testimony describing After Effects rendering. Probably at barefeats.com.

bogiesan

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mac Pro3,1 (2008) 3,2 GHz - vs - Mac Pro4,1 (2009) 2,226 GHz
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'd update the newer machine. Better Cache and the CPU speed is very misleading. It would take some real research to decide which was actually faster. I suspect, in spite of the speed difference that the 09 machine is actually faster.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Mac Pro3,1 (2008) 3,2 GHz - vs - Mac Pro4,1 (2009) 2,226 GHz
              hypercite Level 1

Alright guys!

Ill just get both of them rendering three different scenes and see if that will prove what computer is faster.

All I can see is that while I am working the RAM clogs upp ALL the time.

Only work on HD and red material so it get very heavy after a few comps.

Is there any way to see if one of them will get a higher boost from more RAM?

Martin

• 4. Re: Mac Pro3,1 (2008) 3,2 GHz - vs - Mac Pro4,1 (2009) 2,226 GHz
                bogiesan Level 4

> All I can see is that while I am working the RAM clogs upp ALL the time.

Only work on HD and red material so it get very heavy after a few comps.<

That would have been nice to include in the OP. RAM issues with AE are soveable many ways. "Clogged" should not happen if you're set up properly but you're working in a format I've never touched.

If handling REd is a big part of your ecomonic future, put those two old machines in the corner, use them for distributed rendering and archiving your projects, and get a new Mac.

bogiesan

• 5. Re: Mac Pro3,1 (2008) 3,2 GHz - vs - Mac Pro4,1 (2009) 2,226 GHz
                  hypercite Level 1

Hey guys!

Havent had time to do any testing but I was playing around with the memory and multiprocessing tab today.

The 2008 mac cant use hyperthreading so its cores are left at 8 compared to the 16 (including virtual) on the 2009 machine.

So I have 8 installed cpu:s on the 2008 and 16 installed on the 2009 machine.

Hyperthreading as I undertsnad ISNT as powerfull as the original cores. Am I right?

But still with more RAM I should be able to use all 16 cores compared to the 8 cores on the 2008 machine.

And therefore it should be the 2009 machine that I should upgrade.

Correct?

dew