7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2011 11:15 AM by peter minneapolis

In need of some help.

wesstefanko

Good morning all, please let me know if this is the wrong place to post this. I am working on a project for my office of creating a print catalog. I have been in charge of getting our products photographed and a coworker who was familar with InDesign was going to do the layout and such. He quit yesterday and I am in very large hole. I am just looking for the best place to start digging. He took all of the work with him or deleted it. My question is where to start?  I should have around 1200 photos to layout and put product numbers with them on about 50-60 pages. Is there a template I can work off of or someone can make? I am not familiar with InDesign at all. Is there anyone that would be interested in taking a look at our old print catalog (in PDF format) to give me any ideas? We would keep a similar format with the rows.

http://gothic-jewelry.com/kinsleymanufacturing/GOTHICGents.pdf

Thank you for looking and any information.

Wes

• 1. Re: In need of some help.
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The best idea you're going to get for this is to hire someone to do it.

This is not the type of job you start off with if you have no experience at all.

Sorry, but that's the brutal honest truth.

Bob

• 2. Re: In need of some help.
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I have a feeling you're in deeper than you can dig out.

I presume the products were not photographed laid out in groups on those backgrounds, so my first question is are they ready to go (i.e. extracted from whatever background they were photographed against)? If not, do you have the skills to do that?

Second, how are all of these photos and associated text stored? Is this in some sort of database? Do you have a catalog plugin for InDesign that can work with your database, or is this going to be a strictly manual job?

If you want to try to do this yourself, and I really recommend you hire someone with the skills to do it for you, you should start out by getting Sandee Cohen's book and a subscription to Lynda.com and spend a week or two learning the basics before you attempt anything this big.

a coworker who was familar with InDesign was going to do the layout and such. He quit yesterday and I am in very large hole. I am just looking for the best place to start digging. He took all of the work with him or deleted it.

Sounds like it wasn't an amicable separation.

• 3. Re: In need of some help.
              wesstefanko Level 1

Stealing from the company is not a great way to go. I am familiar with Photoshop enough to edit the pictures. My first thought was to have one background and put the pictures on. Our photographer took the pictures on a green screen so we can remove the background. Trying to layout each page at a time was tough to have them all in stock at the time. That is another reason we wanted individual pictures. I have no idea where to start looking for someone to hire. Is it better to have a company/person create a template I could upload pictures to or do the whole project themselves? Any takers for a quote?

Or is InDesign not the way to go? Any other options?

Thanks again,

Wes

• 4. Re: In need of some help.
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Sandee's book: http://amzn.to/qU9UOd

Seven day free trial for Lynda.com http://bit.ly/fcGpiI

Bob

• 5. Re: In need of some help.
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are there any local design studios in your area? Printers who might have some possible referrals to someone who does this sort of work?

I'm not going to lock this thread, at least not yet, in case anyone has further useful suggestions, like advice about catalog plugins based on some experience with a project of this size, BUT please, if you are going to solicit the job, do it off-forum by private message.

• 6. Re: In need of some help.
                    wesstefanko Level 1

Will do. The closest design studio is about 30-40 miles away. Our office is in a remote area that is stuck in the 80's. Thank you everyone for your help and information.

Wes

• 7. Re: In need of some help.
                      peter minneapolis Level 4

wesstefanko wrote:

Will do. The closest design studio is about 30-40 miles away. Our office is in a remote area that is stuck in the 80's. Thank you everyone for your help and information.

Wes

Search Google for terms like "InDesign catalog templtes" without quotes to find whatever's out there.

Take a look here User Group Chapters to see if there's a chapter anywhere near your remote area. It's possible that someone in the group would be a good designer you can hire. Even if not, you'll probably find contact information for the group, and may be able to locate a designer who'll work with you remotely. There are screen-sharing and application-sharing software products that you can use to collaborate with others.

Finally, I believe creativepro.com lists designer-wanted opportunities from time to time.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices