12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2011 1:37 PM by RoadQuill

Rendering Multiple Layers, each with an Object on a Motion Path

RoadQuill

I have CS5 After Effects on Mac Snow Leopard.  I'm rendering a project, about 15 layers of which have objects on motion paths.  I know each the layers work, that is the Object is visible and moves along the path, because I've seen them work in RAM previews and also when I've rendered previously to make .mov files.  I also check before rendering to be sure the "eyeball" is ON for each Layer.  Further, there are no other "eyeballs" inside the layers, so there's nothing hidden that could be OFF.  In spite of all that, when I go into the project after a rendering and make a few changes, then render again, I often find that one or more of those layers has rendered without the Object being visible. 

When I go back into the project and select the problem layer, I see that, no matter where I set the CTI, the Object has zero size in the Composition view even though it's Scale has viewable values (10 to 100%).  I am able to make the Object visible again by placing that portion of the timeline in a Work Area and and doing a RAM preview.  If I next render the entire composition, the Object is visible.

What am I doing wrong?  Or is this a glitch of some sort?  If so, what's the best fix?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

• 1. Re: Rendering Multiple Layers, each with an Object on a Motion Path
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sounds like you are a newbie. Here are things to look for. First of all, only the Active Camera will render. Any view will ram preview. Secondly, check your layer in and out points. Make sure that they are included in the work area or make sure that your output module is set to render the entire comp length.

A screen shot of your project would help us a lot. So would one of the Flow Chart.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Rendering Multiple Layers, each with an Object on a Motion Path
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Also make sure you've downloaded the latest updates for CS5. That should be AE version 10.0.2, I believe.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Rendering Multiple Layers, each with an Object on a Motion Path
              RoadQuill Level 1

Rick,

Thanks for the advice.  Also thanks to Szalam who suggested I install the

10.0.02 update.  I did that and rendering speed went up a bit, but the

problem with motion path layers persists.  I'm sending you several screen

captures.  I hope they are what you had in mind.  As far as rendering the

whole Composition vs. just the Work Area with its potential Layer In and Out

Point issues goes, that fact is that all of the rendering has been with the

Entire Composition.  Further, the Active Camera is selected as is "1 View."

Here's what I did and observed after installing the update.  I opened AE and

my project.  I immediately rendered the Entire Composition without making

any changes in the project.  A QuickTime movie (~6 min. long) resulted that

contained everything (all Effects, Polystar, Lens Flares, etc.) except that

not a single Object from any of the Motion Path layers was visible.  There

are almost 20 of them.  I then tried one more thing, and one thing only.  I

went into the Timeline and *set the Work Area to begin a little before the

start of the first Motion Path layer and to end a little after the end of

the last Motion Path layer in the Timeline, and ran a RAM Preview.*  I

immediately rendered again using the same settings.  This time EVERYTHING

was there.  All Motion Path Objects were in motion in the movie.

OK, that's all I have on this.  I seem to have a fix of sorts, but still

don't know the cause.  I hope I've given you enough so that you can see the

true error of my ways.  Thanks again to you and Szalam.

RoadQuill

• 5. Re: Rendering Multiple Layers, each with an Object on a Motion Path
                RoadQuill Level 1

Strange.  The zip is in my sent files folder and I could open it and see

each.

I've attached the zip again to this reply.  Let me know if it works this

time.

thanks much

• 6. Re: Rendering Multiple Layers, each with an Object on a Motion Path
                  RoadQuill Level 1

It looks like the icon for the zip folder is all the way down below the

"disclaimer", so take a scroll down there if you don't see it right away.

• 7. Re: Rendering Multiple Layers, each with an Object on a Motion Path

You can't attach things to an e-mail reply to the forum and have them show up. You have to go to the Forum it's self and attach images using the interface or you have to put the files on your server and create a link.

• 8. Re: Rendering Multiple Layers, each with an Object on a Motion Path
                      RoadQuill Level 1

OK, just in case you are still not receiving the zip file, I've imbedded the

the screen captures one at a time here.

You will note in the flowchart images that I have not precomped the motion

path layers, so there's not much hierarchy to the flowchart.  Also, I have

some solids layers that may or may not be "doing anything," and which I

haven't culled out because I'm a little worried that I might cause another

problem at this stage.  I do, however, plan to copy the project and play

with precomping and solids file cleanup.

• 9. Re: Rendering Multiple Layers, each with an Object on a Motion Path
                        RoadQuill Level 1

Rick,  Here are the screen captures for the Project, including render and output Settings.  The camera setting was always Active Camera / 1 View, and the Time Span was Length of Comp.

I'm sending the Flow Chart images in a separate reply.

Full (too small to read) view showing everything (see other images for close up).

1.TopLayers.jpg

Timeline Panel: All motion path layers with transforms for one twirled open

MotionPathLayers.All.jpg

Timeline Panel: Other Layers

Other Layers.jpg

Project Panel: Top Half

ProjectPanel.Top.jpg

Project Panel: Bottom Half -- Just noticed the way too big size of these Object files I brought in from Illustrator.  These are the Objects that are on the Motion Paths. This may be the result of my using an Import method suggested by Eran Stern in a video where the Illustrator File had the Artboard containing the Object(s) on a second much larger Artboard.  Could this be the problem?

ProjectPanel.Bottom.jpg

Render Setting: Length of Comp

4.RenderSettings.jpg

Output Module Settings: Format is QuickTime Animation

5.OutputModSettings.jpg

• 10. Re: Rendering Multiple Layers, each with an Object on a Motion Path
                          RoadQuill Level 1

Here are the screenshots for the Flowchart.  I have not placed the Motion Path Layers in any precomps, so the flowchart is very flat, hence the several screenshots.  There are also a few solids Layers in the project that may be "doing nothing useful."

Thanks for your patience.

Flowchart: Text Layer and Motions Paths

7.Flow.MotionPaths.2-5.jpg

Flowchart: More Motion Path Layers

8.Flow.MotionPaths.6-10.jpg

Flowchart: Still More Motion Path Layers

9.Flow.MotionPaths.11-15.jpg

Flowchart: The rest of the Motion Path Layers

10.Flow.MotionPaths.16-20.jpg

Flowchart: Effects

11.Flow.Effects.jpg

Flowchart: Solids Layers

12.Flow.Solids.jpg

Flowchart: Solids Layers & Sound Layer - Image not shown here (may have reached some sort of image limit), but it looks like the image above.

• 11. Re: Rendering Multiple Layers, each with an Object on a Motion Path

I looked at your screenshots. I can't see any reason that the project would not render correctly. From what you said you did finally get a render to work. I think that you must have thrown a switch somewhere or picked a different view, or not rendered the entire timeline.

• 12. Re: Rendering Multiple Layers, each with an Object on a Motion Path
                              RoadQuill Level 1

The only thing I did that changed things was that I set the Work Area to

completely encompass all of the Motion Path Layers, ran a RAM preview, and

rendered again.  I changed nothing else, yet that made all of the Objects

appear where none had appeared on the previous render.  Strange!

Thanks much for your help, Rick!