13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2011 3:55 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 10?

Koscieliska Level 1

Is there any news when PrE10 will be released and what new features it is likely to contain?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 10?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

No official word yet. Although traditionally Adobe releases new versions of its Elements programs in the fall.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 10?
            jazzsinger100

I wonder if I am the only one who doesn't want it to have 3D editing?  I don't have binocular vision so I can't watch 3D movies anyway so I rather selfishly want them to focus (no pun intended) on other things

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 10?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I don't think you're alone, jazzsinger. Most of us think 3D is a waste of resources.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 10?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Like Steve, I would guess that the release of PrE10 will be between mid-Sept (read now), and mid-October, so it should be out soon. The release is usually timed to allow retailers to have it, prior to any "holiday sales." Unfortunately, no one, who might know, cannot say, until the word is "official." As I have been absent for a couple of weeks, I just checked Adobe.com, and PrE 9 is still the only version listed. Guess that means at least late-Sept, to mid-October, but remember, that is only a guess, and is based on history - nothing more.

As for 3D, even PrPro CS 5.5 relies heavily on CineForm for 3D editing in that program. If there is any 3D in PrE, I would guess that it will be similar to the workflow in PrPro. [Not sure where "3D" came into this thread, but maybe I missed something?] As others have commented on, I feel that 3D is still "not ready for primetime," and many in the industry feel the same way. It's "hot" with Hollywood, but not sure for how long. OTOH, it might become the norm, though when it gets to production, the cameras are limited, expensive, and of questionable use for consumer fare. Many in the high-end "home theater" business, are still waiting and watching. Many of those folk were less than impressed at the most recent demos in Las Vegas, but then things do change. Heck, many were slightly skeptical of HD, in the early days, and it is now the "norm," so who knows? In my demos, I keep waiting to see the next gen, and then maybe I can comment at that time. Of course, I remember 3D, from the very, very early days (House of Wax, Andy Warhol's Frankenstein, The Stewardesses, Macumba Love, and even some early Disney) and question. Still, it's a hot topic. For more Adobe info, maybe look at the links in this ARTICLE.

Just some thoughts,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 10?
                  jazzsinger100 Level 1

Hi Bill,

[Not sure where "3D" came into this thread, but maybe I missed something?] 

- the original poster also asked what features might be appearing.

I raised it as consumer editing software packages are now beginning to include 3D and I for one am currently avoiding looking at those as I am sure it takes quite a lot of work and effort to incorporate that. I am rather hoping adobe have been putting their energies elsewhere.

I would like adobe premiere elements 10 to have a particle generator. What's my chances?

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 10?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Got you, and thanks for the clarification.

As for PrE 10, I cannot comment on what features might, or might not be included - sorry.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 10?
                      P_Forrest Level 1

Though I'm using CS5.5,  I'll be curious to see how PrE 10 fares!

Petey

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 10?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Petey,

Well, we did not have to wait long. It seems that mid-September held, as suspected. Not only that, but Steve Grisetti has done a full review and is publishing a book on it, and PSE 10. All good news.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 10?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Oops, forgot the link to the THREAD with the necessary links to Steve's hard work.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 10?
                            P_Forrest Level 1

Thanks Hunt!

I may buy the download.   Of course I don't really need it but it's useful to have to help out if I'm hanging around this forum.  8-)

Will it affect my installation of Production Pro CS-55?

Petey

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 10?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Petey,

I cannot answer you. Going back some years, I had the full CS 2 Production Studio installed, and then installed PrE 4.0. It killed everything in the Production Studio. Obviously, Adobe had not considered, or tested, someone having PrPro, et al, and THEN installing PrE 4.0. By the time that I got hit, there was an Adobe KB on the issue. A simple Repair Install for the full Production Studio took about an hour, and fixed everything. However, that was one reason that I never installed PrE onto my workstation - just the laptop.

The only other issue that I can recall was with PrPro CS4, where, if one had PrPro CS3 installed, then installed CS4, and then uninstalled CS3, some necessary stuff went away too. A Repair Install fixed that too, but caught many.

Usually, and historically, Adobe software plays fine with most other versions, and most other Adobe programs, but I have not tried what you describe, so can only rely on history and personal experience.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes please,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 10?
                                P_Forrest Level 1

Hi Hunt,

Thanks for the quick history.  I can wait till later.   I have a couple of ukulele videos to do before I go to Berlin in October so I don't want my computer "scuppered" as they say in England.  hehe

cheers,

Petey

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 10?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Travel safely, and enjoy!

I agree with you on exposing myself to the potential for having things go south. I always try to choose the time, that I make major updates, or installations, until I have nothing "on my plate," and time to rectify any issues. Life is just so much simpler that way.

Good luck, and if I get everything lined up on my end, I will test to see if all works together and report. Still waiting on the new laptop and workstation, and travel does call me for the next few months, so you will likely know, before I do.

Hunt