5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2011 7:51 PM by juskocf

How to re-install an update ??

juskocf Level 1

My case is that I installed the Adobe updates (AE 10.5.1 & PPro 5.5.1) without any problem. Some days afterwards, my Windows 7 encountered some problem and I had to restore my Windows system to a previous backup point at which the Adobe updates (AE & PPro) had not yet been installed. So, after system restored, I tried to re-install the Adobe updates. But the Adobe update installer said the products have been updated sucessfully and finished. But in fact, the versions of AE and PPro are still the old 10.5.1 and 5.5 respectively. I guess there must be something installed in the Windows system after the initial update installation.

So, how can I re-install the Adobe updates after system restored to a previous point before the updates were installed ??

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: How to re-install an update ??
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you tried the manual update procedure?

All Adobe updates start here and select product, read to see if you need to install updates in number order, or if the updates are cumulative for the individual product http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

• 2. Re: How to re-install an update ??
            Colin Brougham Level 6

I suspect your only option is to reinstall the release versions from scratch, and then update again. A pain, for sure, but I doubt there is another recourse.

Do this:

1. Go to Help > Deactivate
            2. Uninstall your Adobe apps/suite
            3. Reboot
            4. Download and run the Adobe Creative Suite Cleaner Tool
            5. Reboot
            6. Repeat step #4
            7. Reinstall from disc/download
            8. Update

Yes, big pain, but I think trying anything else will prove to be a time-waster.

• 3. Re: How to re-install an update ??
              juskocf Level 1

John @ I have used the manual method but in vain.

Colin @ If there is no simpler way to get it updated, re-installing the suite is the only solution.

Thank you very much.

• 4. Re: How to re-install an update ??
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Once everything is working again...

Hardware crashes or virus infections or simple software problems happen, so you should buy AND USE software to make a full backup of your hard drive to an external USB hard drive... plus, making step-by-step backups during a new install or major program addition makes it easy to go back a step if something doesn't work
                This backup and then restore is, of course, only to the same computer with a new drive (or the same drive as long as you don't mind writing over everything) since doing a restore to a new computer won't work due to Windows and many programs having activation information that is keyed to your hardware (which is why Windows will force you to RE-Activate if you change very much hardware)
                The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm
                Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything
                Please note that I own no part of Image, and I don't get a referral fee (that is just a plain web link) but I use the program and it has saved me a LOT of trouble when I had a hard drive die... and I was able to restore everything and not have to re-install or re-activate a single program, from Windows on up

• 5. Re: How to re-install an update ??
                  juskocf Level 1

Hi, John,  the point is that, by using the Windows system restore, I had sucessfully restored the system to a normal condition. But at the restored point, the PPro had not been updated yet. So after restoration, I had to reinstall the update (v5.5.1). But the update installer said my product had already been updated sucessfully and refused to update again. (still v.5.5.0)

The time period between the PPro update and my system failure was just about 2 hours. So there was no system restore point created after the update. And also, it is not practical to do a system backup every hour or so.

Best Regards.