5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2014 7:59 AM by Goldenrain

Need to ungroup objects in anchored frames

Alison - ClearlyStated

Hi all,

Going round and round in circles with this one...and have found other posts around anchored frames, but not this issue.

I created a book (file) with a lot of grouped images (screenshots, arrows, annotations - composed and grouped on clean area).

I created anchored frames, cut and pasted the groups INTO the anchored frames.

So far so good.

Six months later, I need to update the book (it is now a book in InDesign terms, so I was only coping with one section at a time).

I can select each item inside the group using the direct selection tool - so where just a bit of text in an annotation needs to change, that's what I'm doing.

I also need, though, to update some of the screenshots, add new arrows and new annotations (which are just small text boxes).

Nothing I do lets me ungroup the object so I can replace the screenshot and then regroup them.

I have tried releasing the anchored frame, but that doesn't help.

I've tried using the direct selection tool on the frame contents to try to copy it out of the frame, but ungroup remains stubbornly greyed-out.

I've resorted to using the direct selection tool to copy each element individually out onto a clean area, put the new screenshot in the middle, group them all and then re-insert into an anchored frame. One screenshot, one arrow, one caption = nuisance, but OK. One screenshot, 20 arrows, 20 captions = real pain.

Because my deadline is fast approaching, I've just been superimposing the extra arrows and annotations - which will do to create the PDF, but I need to sort it out at some point or I'm going to have a nightmare the next time around with floating arrows all over the place.

I must be missing something, but what?

Wrong selection tool at wrong time?

Thanks in advance,

Alison

• 1. Re: Need to ungroup objects in anchored frames
          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It looks like you have to cut the anchored object, paste it on your

pasteboard, do what you need, and then insert it again.

Ariel

• 2. Re: Need to ungroup objects in anchored frames
            TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I tried to ungroup an anchored object via scripting just now. Doing so

throws this error:

"Invalid object for this request."

Ariel

• 3. Re: Need to ungroup objects in anchored frames
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'd release the anchored objects that need content added (for those that just need an updated image you can select the image and relink), at that point you  can just add your new elements and group with the original group, then re-anchor. You probably don't need to ungroup the original stuff at all unless there are stacking issues.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Need to ungroup objects in anchored frames
                Alison - ClearlyStated Level 1

It was the stacking problem that really took me to the "copy them out one by one" phase as I needed to replace something that was originally obove some elements but below others. For example,one page originally had two partial screenshots, now it has three. I need to insert one into a layer between the first two (basically, I'm shorf of space on a printed document, and the bottom right section of each screen is blank so I'm taking advantage of that space to overlap).

can delete the "original" top image, then put the two in in the correct order, but I'm covering the arrow heads...by the time I get to this stage, it's as quick to start again comosing a new group.

I'm not putting so much in anchored frames this time around - I thought it would save me time, but it isn't.

• 5. Re: Need to ungroup objects in anchored frames
                  Goldenrain

I have found the solution for this problem. When the objects are groupped and the frame is anchored, it is not possible to ungroup it. First you have to change anchoring type to user defined through Object>Anchored Object>Options. Then, when you again select the anchored group frame, in menu appears option Object>Anchored Object>Release. Use it. After that you can again select the frame of grouppped objects and magically, the option in menu Object->Ungroup (Shift+Ctrl+G) is again available and you can ungroup all objects. Problem solved !