7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2011 8:07 AM by Steve Grisetti

AVCH and other file formats

TheArchetect

When 'get media' from 'files and folders' Premiere only sees jpeg format and not AVCHD m2ts. Eventually I found them there but whereas you see jpegs as thumbnails you can not other file types as thumbnails - which is a real pain.

When you start a new project do you select the file format at the beginning in settings? Could this be a cause of the problem? Which settings should you use for AVCHD LITE? Also what if you want to mix file settings ie bring in jpeg stills with AVCHD movies and some DV movies? Can this be done? Or is this setting dictate the file type for the whole project?

It all sounds so complicated and a lot of hassle I am beginning to think that I should have stuck jpegs and dv.

I will leave RAW for another day.

Any help appreciated.

• 1. Re: AVCH and other file formats
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The first thing you need to do is tell everyone your OS and PreEl version

PreEl 9 has many changes over previous versions when it comes to presets for supported file types

Version 9 PDF http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/index.html

Right click the PDF link in the upper right corner and select to save to your hard drive... start reading at the beginning
          -the page also has links to help pages for previous versions

Steve's Basic Training Tutorials http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

• 2. Re: AVCH and other file formats
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Try using Get Media to get the video from your camcorder. (Connect your camcorder via USB to your computer and have it turned on to VTR.)

When you select Get Media/From Flip, AVCHD and Hard Disk Cameras, this will open the Video Importer, from which you can sample video clips on your camcorder and decide which you want to download. If you use the Video Importer, the program will load your video into your project and copy the clips to your hard drive.

It is very important to determine which format your camcorder is shooting your video in and select the correct project settings. (This can be challenging as more and more cams shoot in more than one format!) Part 1 of my free 8 part Basic Training tutorial series will show you how to select the correct project settings.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

And do ensure that you ahve the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.com, per the program's requirements. It is a necessary component when you are working with a number of video file formats.

• 3. Re: AVCH and other file formats
              TheArchetect Level 1

Windows XP and Premiere Elements 9 version 9.0.1. I will check out your links - thanks.

• 4. Re: AVCH and other file formats
                TheArchetect Level 1

Bit I have already got media on the hard drive. I am bringing in media from files and folders. Does this mean that Premiere can only handle media

brought direct from the camcorder and camera? Also can a project only work with one file type that that is determined in the new project settings? I am trying to bring in stills in jpeg and movies in AVCHD and DV. So are you saying a mixture does not work? I will check out your links. Thanks.

• 5. Re: AVCH and other file formats

I definitely do not recommend mixing AVCHD and DV in the same project. For one thing, these two formats use very different interlacing methods -- and that means one of them is going to look jiggly in your final video output.

As for using Get Media to get the video from your camcorder -- the Video Importer is the ideal way to get the video from the camcorder to your computer.

However, if the video is already on your computer, you can certainly browse to your clips using Get Media/From Files and Folders -- but you won't be able to see what's on the clips or preview them as you could with the Video Importer. So it's your call. But I recommend taking advantage of the tools built into the program.

• 6. Re: AVCH and other file formats
                    TheArchetect Level 1

I must admit there are few tools within the programme that are obvious and in fact work. Its so slow. Spent 2 days with Premiere setting up my holiday movie and photos, made up of jpeg stills and AVCHD videos from my new Panasonic Lumix G2 and DV videos from my old video camera. Premiere kept crashing and its not easy to use but eventually it did seem to hang together with the 3 different formats and played on screen in Premiere. But 2 burnt DVDs later and I am left with a DVD that plays the old DV videos only. I can see that perhaps AVCHD and DV not working together but I understood you could have a slide show of jpegs running with movies?

Premiere is a tempermental beast and I had started using it as it was sold as a package with my camera and so I had expected them to both run smoothly together. Aslo I use Photoshop so it seemed logical but now I am thinking of switching back tp Pinnacle or something.

• 7. Re: AVCH and other file formats

I don't know your hardware specs -- nor do I know which settings you selected when you set up your projects -- so I can't really comment.

On a reasonably powered system, you should get very good performance. (Although, with AVCHD, I recommend in my books that you have at least a quad core or i7 processor or it will lug like crazy!)

But, as I've said, mixing AVCHD and DV footage together in the same project is a sure recipe for disaster! Matching your source video with the correct project settings is essential to getting good performance and good results from the program -- and that's impossible to do when you're mixing two such different video formats.