2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2011 5:00 PM by crydrk

Any way to set second image input to include effects that are applied to source?

crydrk Level 1

I need to sample from a layer that has effects apply to it. Currently my code will only take the base color of the layer, not looking at effects. Specifically, I'm thinking like how the sampleImage expression command has a flag for whether it looks at layers or not.

[edit] Forgot to mention. For After Effects.

• 1. Re: Any way to set second image input to include effects that are applied to source?
          AIF Bob Level 3

I checked with our AE guru and this is what he said:

All the layer params of an effect are pre-effect. There is a workaround though: user can pre-compose the later with the effects and then use the pre-composed layer as input to the PB effect. In this case, layer input to the PB effect will be post-effect.

Does this workaround solve your problem?

Bob

• 2. Re: Any way to set second image input to include effects that are applied to source?
            crydrk Level 1

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, the workaround isn't quite enough. Our workflow requires us to often make minor adjustments to effects (specifically, ramps) and moving to and from pre-comps will bog things down speed wise. The artists don't seem to like to have to do things outside the norm just to use this one effect.

I'm sorry that I can't give a whole lot of info on what I'm trying to do. I'm not supposed to reveal specific workflow information and I'm not sure what exacly I'm allowed to say. But thank you so much for any other solutions you might find.