14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2011 3:42 PM by laura1962

Problems with Indesign CS4 plugins

Caro930

Hi. I created an indesign file in I don't know which version because I don't know which is the one that my Faculty has. Today I got the whole Adobe CS4 suit installed on my laptop, but the file of indesign I created at my university doesn't open, it says" the file can't be open, upgrade the plugins or Adobe Indesign with its latest versions".

So how I upgrade them? I guess I can open the file at my university again and save it in a version that works with CS4 but if you can give me another solution will be great.

• 1. Re: Problems with Indesign CS4 plugins
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

This "error" message has been puzzling casual InDesign users for years on end now. It's ******* time Adobe fixed it.

You got it right, you cannot just "upgrade the plugins" to read newer files.

• 2. Re: Problems with Indesign CS4 plugins
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Your files are from either CS5 or CS5.5 and will not open in CS4. You can export .idml from the original version, and that should open, but if the files use any new features, like spanning columns for example, that will be lost in CS4.

You really should probably return the CS4 package, if you recently purchased it and are able to do so, and buy the same version that your university is using. They probably have a program in place to allow you to buy at a discount, but if not there are several authorized educational resellers from which you can order.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Problems with Indesign CS4 plugins
              Caro930 Level 1

Thank you Peter. Since I'm not native English speaker though I love the language and do pretty well with it, the guy who installed me CS4 told me that CS5.5 is only in English, not Spanish, and he said something else that I do not remember (like harder to get it or more expensive or I don't know just another reason, Oh right I think it had to do with the capacity and speed of my laptop). However I'm not used to programs words in English and I have a big lesson to take with almost all the programs of CS4 because so far I just know Flash, Fireworks, Dreamweaver and not much but enough of empirical Photoshop and Indesign. (Btw, I have another doubt, Adobe Audition no longer exists so which one is the CS4 program that replaces it?) Just to give an example of this language issue though you may not get it, I'm used and happy of Facebook in English and don't want it nor have it in Spanish because all changes and you get lost, like "etiquetar" instead of tagging someone on a pic, and many other words.

Anyway, getting back to the topic, I guess I'll just save the file today at my University in the format you just told me. I think it will be fine, I'm using just some images and text so I guess nothing will change.

• 4. Re: Problems with Indesign CS4 plugins

Caro930 wrote:

the guy who installed me CS4 told me that CS5.5 is only in English, not Spanish, and he said something else that I do not remember (like harder to get it or more expensive or I don't know just another reason, Oh right I think it had to do with the capacity and speed of my laptop).

There is an Adobe Education Store online for Europe, and CS5.5 is definitely available in Spanish: https://store2.adobe.com/cfusion/store/index.cfm?store=OLS-EDU-EU&view=ols_cat&catType=SPE CIALS&#loc=en_xeu&store=OLS-EDU-EU&catID=SPECIALS&view=ols_cat

Wheter CS5.5 will run on your computer is a different issue. You will find a link at the bottom of the page I lined above that will give you the system requirements for installation. These are the MINIMUM requirements, and like anything, more RAM and faster Processors will make things run better.

• 5. Re: Problems with Indesign CS4 plugins

I don't know why, but for some reason when I try clicking on that link it brings me right back here. If that happens to you, copy the text inthe link and paste into a new browser window and it should work.

• 6. Re: Problems with Indesign CS4 plugins
                    Caro930 Level 1

Once again, thank you Peter. I'll check the link though you said Europe and I'm from and live in Colombia, Latin America.

• 7. Re: Problems with Indesign CS4 plugins

My apologies. There should also be a Latin America store, I think. Hang on.

I don't see one, so perhaps that really is a problem. I would check with your university and see if they have a program for students to purchase the software.

• 8. Re: Problems with Indesign CS4 plugins
                        Caro930 Level 1

you will? well, thanks, then I guess you need to know I study at La Sabana University (Universidad de La Sabana). Could you please answer me another two quick questions?

a) My profile pic was approved and I see it when I go to edit profile option but I don't see it here on the forum, why?

b) Which is the program equivalent to Adobe Audition in CS4?

• 9. Re: Problems with Indesign CS4 plugins

Sorry, you misunderstood. I meant if I were you, I would check. You need to make the inquiries. Ask your professor, someone in IT services, or at the university bookstore, in that order.

• 10. Re: Problems with Indesign CS4 plugins
                            Caro930 Level 1

It's okay, I just changed the file extension in the computer of my univeristy and now I'm working on the file directly from my laptop. Thanks for all your help.

• 11. Re: Problems with Indesign CS4 plugins
                              laura1962

I am also using CS4 and getting the message it cannot open file. "Please upgrade your plugins to their latest versions, or upgrade to the latest version of Adobe InDesign." The plug-in is InDesign Content Manager. I do not own CS5. I upgraded to CS4 from InDesign CS. So my file can only be CS or CS4. The icon is the CS4 icon and I know I have opened that document in CS4 in the recent past. Any ideas?

****Found the answer as I was looking at other posts. It's pretty simple. I assumed I had opened the document in CS4 because of the CS4 icon next to it. But I had not. Another post mentioned that the icon changes for every document even if it hasn't been opened in that version. Simply going to the older version to open it and resave as CS4 did the trick. Boy do I feel dumb. I hate icons!

• 12. Re: Problems with Indesign CS4 plugins

Did you install a trial version at some point? Could someone else have worked on the file? This message does not come up unles the version is mismatched.  The icon is a red herring -- if the most recent version installed is CS4, on Mac everything will have the CS4 icon, on windows Everything from CS4 on will use the CS4 icon because the system doesn't know anything about the newer versions or have the newer icons.

• 13. Re: Problems with Indesign CS4 plugins
                                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The icon and file info is meaningless since the latest version you have is CS4 that's all you're going to get.

Post the file somewhere so one of us can look at. My guess...someone opened it in CS5 or CS5.5. No way to tell without seeing it though.

Bob

• 14. Re: Problems with Indesign CS4 plugins
                                    laura1962 Level 1

Never tried the trial...and after reading a little, I realize I better not unless I want to buy it. It was just that I assumed the CS4 icon meant it was 4, but they were really CS and I was able to open them from that version and save them up to CS4. Thanks for the really fast reply!