6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2011 7:02 AM by sasha verleef

How to update a table of contents when the feature "update table of contents" is unavailable?

sasha verleef

Hello folks,

I've been struggling all morning with this issue and am completely desperate.

First, some info:

- I am making a spanish versions of an english documents: everything in the original doc was then edited, including TOCs. What I got at first, was a first spanish document already filled with spanish content.

- I was not the primary creative of the document I'm workin on and am unable to get in touch with whoever that can be.

- My document is a 200 pages text only document, with 12 chapters and, at the beginning of each chapter, a specific TOC for that very chapter.

- Inside each chapter, there are only Sections and Subsections, no other style. Those are the two levels in the TOCs.

- There is also a General TOC at the beginning of the document: that one only shows the Chapter names and the page number where to locate them.

My problem:

- Somewhere along the way, from one doc to another, the TOCs stopped to update the page numbers automatically.

- Now I have sections and subsections that are shown in one page (for instance 204) but they actually are on page 135.

- When I try to update the TOCs, I stand on the TOC itself as I was told in many tutorials, but the "update table of contents" feature is unavailable, even in the main TOC at the very beginning of the doc.

It is like if I wasn't standing in the actual TOC, but there is no actual TOC anywhere that I could refer to.

What can I do? I am changing the wrong page numbers manually but, of course, that is not ideal... and it may become more and more tricky while I keep producing new documents each based on the previous one.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Warm regard from sunny Paris, France!

Sasha

• 1. Re: How to update a table of contents when the feature "update table of contents" is unavailable?
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Just to confirm

- When I try to update the TOCs, I stand on the TOC itself as I was told in many tutorials, but the "update table of contents" feature is unavailable, even in the main TOC at the very beginning of the doc.

It is like if I wasn't standing in the actual TOC, but there is no actual TOC anywhere that I could refer to.

When you say "standing on" you are SELECTING the TOC with the BLACK ARROW (Selection) tool?

Perhaps your document is corrupted? Try Clean  corrupt files by exporting to Interchange Format (.idml): http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526991

• 2. Re: How to update a table of contents when the feature "update table of contents" is unavailable?
            sasha verleef Level 1

Yes, Jhon, hi!

Selecting with the black arrow and with the text tool also.

I mean I clicked on the TOC, using either one or the other, even selecting the whole text... nothing worked.

I tried the cleaning, did not change a thing.

Thanks for your help!

• 3. Re: How to update a table of contents when the feature "update table of contents" is unavailable?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Instead of updating, you can also try just making the TOC again with the same settings. This would be very easy if you created TOC styles for the various TOCs.

• 4. Re: How to update a table of contents when the feature "update table of contents" is unavailable?
                sasha verleef Level 1

Thank you Peter.

That was the first idea I had: I then created a new table of contents, but it created a single one, and when I proceded to cut it (each chapter has it's own TOC) the "connections" of the page numbers were lost.

Is there any way of re-creating a cut TOC, or just a part of the TOC...? Heavin, that sounds barbaric.

Another thing: when the numbers are "linked" and updating well, they display indide a little box. Not a text box, but a kind of little frame around the numbers. That frame makes it imposible to delete just one number: when the TOC says that Section 6.1 is in page 135, for example, you cannot delete just the 5, it deletes, not just the 3 numbers, but also the doted tab.

Does that tell you something about how this TOC was created?

• 5. Re: How to update a table of contents when the feature "update table of contents" is unavailable?
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You've just confused me.

My understanding of how this is set up is that either:

This is a book, and there is a master TOC that includes all book documents and a document-specific TOC in each component file, or

This is a single file and there is one master TOC that includes all sections and a section-specific TOC that includes only the individual section.

In the first case, I think you would want two TOC styles set up, one that includes the chapter heads (if I understood how you said this worked) for the for the master, and you would include all docs in the book when you generate it, and a second style for the individual chapters, with the subheadings you want to include.

In the second case, it would be similar, but instead of only one style to cover the section TOCS, I think you would need to create a unique set of pargraph styles for the headings in each section (they can all be the same format, based one section, just with unique names), and then make a TOC style for each section that includes only the styles from that section.

OK,  wait a sec. I just reread what you said: "Another thing: when the numbers are "linked" and updating well, they  display indide a little box. Not a text box, but a kind of little frame  around the numbers. That frame makes it imposible to delete just one  number: when the TOC says that Section 6.1 is in page 135, for example,  you cannot delete just the 5, it deletes, not just the 3 numbers, but  also the doted tab."

I think these are NOT normal TOCs created by using Layout > TOC (but you could replace them with ones that are, if you set up your styles properly and the text you want to include is appearing on the pages). Those little boxes you mention sound like cross-references, which should update automatically without any intervention at all. Unfortunately, cross-refs can be flakey, especially if they point to another document. I'd open the cross-refs panel and see if you need to recreate a bunch of links.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How to update a table of contents when the feature "update table of contents" is unavailable?
                    sasha verleef Level 1

Oh, good lord, Peter, I guess your right!

Now that you explained it, I remember there was a dialog box mentioning some cross-reference issues when I exported the document.

As I don't know how cross-reference work exactly, I'll look for a tutorial.

Thanks!!!!