4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2011 8:40 AM by jb.uk

Lossless editing of Canon 60d footage

jb.uk Level 1

I'd like to bring some 60d  footage into Premiere, cut it, and export it. Is there any way I can do that without having Premiere modify it in anyway? I've tried various settings for the output, but haven't managed it yet. The 60D footage is quicktime/H264.

Thanks,

JB

• 1. Re: Lossless editing of Canon 60d footage
          Colin Brougham Level 6

No, there is no pass-through for this kind of material. I use MPEG Streamclip to trim/break-up clips, but that still doesn't change the fact that you can't losslessly export them from Premiere Pro. That doesn't bother me, but then I'm not trying to go back to the same source type.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lossless editing of Canon 60d footage
            jb.uk Level 1

It sounds as though MPEG Streamclip might be what I'm looking for. My final output won't be the same as the source, I'm just wanting to trim down clips to a more manageable size before starting work on them in a project. I'll check out MPEG Streamclip. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Lossless editing of Canon 60d footage
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Yep, in that case, Streamclip will do precisely what you want. It even has a batch window, so you can save all your edits to the batch and process them in one go--pretty slick.

A couple tips:

1. Open the Batch List before you process your first file; that way, it and all following clips are added to the Batch instead of being processed automatically.
              2. When you navigate to the frame you want as your in or out point, use the Go To Keyframe command (Ctrl/Cmd+K) before marking the clip. This will cause MPEG Streamclip to trim on an I-frame, so that you get a nice, clean, non-re-encoded clip.
              3. There's no need to trim the clip using the Trim commands; just mark an in and out point and send to the Batch List. It will respect the marks.
              4. Use the Save As or Save Track option, NOT the Export options. The Save options do a lossless extraction; the Export options will force a recompression.

Hope that helps!

• 4. Re: Lossless editing of Canon 60d footage
                jb.uk Level 1

Cool. That's great. Thanks for your help. I'm downloading Streamclip now.