5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2011 9:09 AM by jasonvp

PPro, AME, and CUDA: What's Actually Happening Here?

jasonvp Level 3

I bit the bullet and picked up a new Quadro 4K for my Mac Pro.  The videos I'll be making with Premiere Pro will include a scaled-down multi-cam PiP, which the CUDA processors can clearly help with.  However, I'm a bit puzzled by something: what's actually going on here behind the scenes, so-to-speak?  I'm coming at this question from a software/computer geek perspective, not from a video editing one.  I'm sincerely interested in what's going on between PPro, AME, and the nVidia card.

First off, I asked this question back in July.  At the end of the thread, Todd says that if I queue up the export with AME, then the rendering would be done by the CPU.  Fair enough, but something else is going on with AME and the nVidia card.  If I enable the GPU in PPro and then export it through AME, the AME log looks like this:

- Source File: /Volumes/Users/jvp/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/Multi-Cam Test.prproj
      - Output File: /Volumes/Users/jvp/Desktop/multi-cam_1.mp4
      - Preset Used: Custom
      - Video: NTSC, 1920x1080, 29.97 fps, De-interlaced
      - Audio: AAC, 160 kbps, 48 kHz, Stereo
      - Bitrate: VBR, 1 Pass, Target 6.00, Max 10.00 Mbps
      - The source was deinterlaced
      - Encoding Time: 00:20:09

If, however, I disable the GPU in PPro and export the same sequence through AME, the log reads:

- Output File: /Volumes/Users/jvp/Desktop/multi-cam-no-cuda.mp4
      - Preset Used: Custom
      - Video: NTSC, 1920x1080, 29.97 fps, De-interlaced
      - Audio: AAC, 160 kbps, 48 kHz, Stereo
      - Bitrate: VBR, 1 Pass, Target 6.00, Max 10.00 Mbps
      - The source was deinterlaced
      - Encoding Time: 01:18:32

A noteworthy difference in time.  Further, during the first export in AME, the GPU is definitely being used at about 33% or so.  So clearly it's doing something.  What I'm curious to know is: what?  Is it actually doing the rendering of the PiP while AME is exporting the video?  Or... ?

jas