4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2011 8:17 PM by Mylenium

Encoding help in AE CS3

khiafan09

I am using After Effects CS3 to render a SD uncompressed AVI to 720p using Red Giant's De-Interlacer & Instant HD...and I'd like to encode to MPEG2 however when I do so I get a M2V file and a separate WAV file for the audio. I wish to keep the audio uncompressed but I'd really like to have the video and & audio as a container...if that makes sense? Any help would be much appreciate or tips on how to achieve the best quality out of my MPEG2 in After Effects as well. Thanks a bunch

• 1. Re: Encoding help in AE CS3
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          however when I do so I get a M2V file and a separate WAV file for the audio

Correct. That's how it would be used 99% of the time for DVD/ BluRay authoring and therefore default.

I'd really like to have the video and & audio as a container

Check the Multiplexer tab. Still, as I said, if you plan on doing authoring, it doesn't make sense. just the opposite - you are adding an extra processing step as e.g. Encore would unmultiplex the audio stream again. The rest is too vague without knowing your current settings and having screenshots...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Encoding help in AE CS3
            khiafan09 Level 1

Well I really have no interest in burning the resulting file...I just want to be able to play it back properly on my flatscreen TV. The only program I could get to play the M2V and WAV stream simultaneously was Windows Media Player Classic and it was badly out of sync...I'll come back with some screenshots with settings being used...

• 4. Re: Encoding help in AE CS3
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well I really have no interest in burning the resulting file...I just want to be able to play it back properly on my flatscreen TV.

That probably won't work - not with MPEG-2. Those decoder chips only handle some very specific file formats and usually neither unmultiplexed program streams nor transport streams played from disk are among them. you can of course try the TS multiplexing option, but I doubt it would work. CS3 simply doesn't spit out a properly formatted HD stream to that end. You might have much better luck using H.264 or even better, rendering a normal AVI and converting it externally using ffmpeg/ MPEGStreamclip and similar tools...

Mylenium