2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2011 1:11 PM by Fun Seeker

Creating hyperlinks in InDesign for epubs

Fun Seeker Level 1

Hi everybody,

When I view epub files in Adobe Digital Editions, the hyperlinks I create in InDesign all have a blue underline. The text color, red in this case, appears just fine. The underline is being applied by the epub reader, or so it seems. Is there anyway to eliminate this in InDesign, perhaps using character styles, etc.?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide. I'm using the latest edition of InDesign, CS5.5.

Kind regards,

Mark

• 1. Re: Creating hyperlinks in InDesign for epubs
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Fun Seeker wrote:

Hi everybody,

When I view epub files in Adobe Digital Editions, the hyperlinks I create in InDesign all have a blue underline. The text color, red in this case, appears just fine. The underline is being applied by the epub reader, or so it seems.

Well, some do. You'll have to test -- the ADE viewer isn't really designed to give a 100% perfect view of what your document would look like on the real thing.

In any case, there isn't much you can do from within InDesign to prevent it. You would need to edit the CSS (and if you have to ask what it is or where you can find it, you are in real trouble ...) and then there is still this little itty bitty issue that you'd need to check on each of the devices you hope someone is going to view your book on what it really looks like. There is a world of difference between actual CSS support for the current batch of ePub hardware.

On the other hand, you could also take it for granted because everyone is used to seeing something blue and underlined and thinking "hey, I bet it's a hyperlink", and you wouldn't want to disappoint everyone.

• 2. Re: Creating hyperlinks in InDesign for epubs
            Fun Seeker Level 1

Thanks so much for your help. Probably better to just leave it the way it is, as you said, at least everyone will recognize it for what it is.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Mark