11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2011 6:09 AM by Peter Spier

Place Command not working for medium sized documents

reindeer4 Level 1

I'm using InDesign CS4 on a Windows 7, 64 bit system and Word 2010.

I can bring small 1-2 page docs into InDesign with the place command without a proble.

Now when I load up a slightly longer doc, from 7-30 pages, the text shows up beside the cursor, but when I hold SHIFT and Left Click within the docment page where i want to place the text, I just get a blue horizontal line (?like on edge of a text box) but no text shows up.

Doesn't matter if I do the Place Command with a text box already selected or just the document page.

Any idea what could be going on or how to fix it?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Place Command not working for medium sized documents
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What if you just click instead of shift clicking?

Bob

• 2. Re: Place Command not working for medium sized documents
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

And waht happens if you look at the story editor after placing? It's possible the entire document is overset for some reason.

• 3. Re: Place Command not working for medium sized documents
              reindeer4 Level 1

Hey Bob and Peter -

Thanks for the responses.

Just Clicking to place (instead of Shift clicking) had worked a couple of times earlier this afternoon, but not doing anything at the moment (nothing showing up in regular view that is).

When I go under the Story Editor, I can see everything has indeed been imported/placed in the document (and, as Peter suggested, it's tagged as Overset)

How do I get it to show up in regular view now?

Much thanks for the assistance.  I have very little experience with InDesign but I can see its great potential and I'd love to add it to my workflow.

• 4. Re: Place Command not working for medium sized documents

Is it showing as overset, or is it there and just invisible?

Differnt problems to crack.

• 5. Re: Place Command not working for medium sized documents
                  reindeer4 Level 1

It wasn't giving any indication of being there in the regular interface/viewport (ie - there wasn't any red plus sign to tell me there was more text to flow).

When I opened the story editor, however, I could see all 30 pages or so of text and there was a red line around the whole thing and it said 'overset' up at the top.

I eventually bumbled my way through it by copying from the Story Editor and then pasting into a page under the regular view.  Don't recall the exact steps since it felt like I was trying slightly different versions of the same thing over and over.

I would like to know the proper method, however, both for Placing a word document into ID and for retrieving multiple pages over 'overset' text from te StoryEditor.  So any information you can provide on this would be appreciated.

• 6. Re: Place Command not working for medium sized documents

When the entire story is overset like this it pretty much means that the first line is too wide for the frame. This can happen if you have very large insets or indents set relative to the column width and don't allow hyphenation, or if there is something else atypical about the first line that would keep it from breaking, but my first thought when dealing with a Word file would be that the author abused the non-breaking space, or that you are perhaps an inexperienced typesetter and have confused No Break for turning off hyphenation in your styles.

In the case of an author using non-breaking spaces, ID is forced to break lines only mid-word. If hyphenation is also disallowed, or there are no multi-syllable words in the line, ID has no place to break at all, and you get an overset. This would also happen if No Break is applied to a sting of any significant length. Many new users presume No Break means don't use hyphens, but it actually means don't break the line apart anywhere that No Break is applied. If you son't wan thyphantion, that gets turned off as a paparagraph attribute by unchecking the Hyphenate box in the hyphenation dialog, or in the hyphenation pane of the paragraph style definition. No Break should be applied only to very short bits of text that mus never be separated.

• 7. Re: Place Command not working for medium sized documents
                      reindeer4 Level 1

Hmm . . . I certainly qualify for the inexperienced typesetter part, but unless I did it unintentionally, I didn't set any No-Break option.  And the documents in question had standard headers with my name, address, etc (nothing that would occupy a whole line) followed by a short title centered partway down the page.  I may have hit Enter several times to get that Title line where I wanted it.  And I have had problems getting things properly centered in the past with various versions of Microsoft Word -so I guess it's possible I put in some weird tabs while trying to set things up in Word way back when.

Does that sound like a potential source for the problem?

And if so, can I fix that within the story editor and then reflow things, or would I need to go back to the original Word document to fix it?

Thanks

• 8. Re: Place Command not working for medium sized documents

Rather than speculate about what might be the source of the problem iin a file I can't see, would you be willing to send it to me and I'll investigate, then come back and tell you waht I discover? I'm sending you a Private Message with an upload link (you should get an email telling you that you have a private message, or you can click the My Stuff link on the web page).

• 9. Re: Place Command not working for medium sized documents

Robert,

Evidently I wasn't completely clear. I Need the .indd file, not the Word files (though having them is not a problem). There is something about the .indd files that is the culprit here, I'm pretty sure.

I can place the the .doc file without any problem in a new default .indd document here using CS4. The .docx is a differnt story -- it never loads the palce gun, but I don't know why, but resaving as .doc allows it to place correctly, too. The .docx places correctly in CS5.5, so I think there must be an import filter issue here in CS4.

In any case, please send the .indd files so I can look at the text frames and styles and any formatting you've applied.

Peter

• 10. Re: Place Command not working for medium sized documents
                            reindeer4 Level 1

Peter - glad the forums are open again, and I wanted to thank you for the remarkably thorough explanations / insights you sent me while they were down over the weekend.  As I mentioned earlier, InDesign in one of the Adobe programs I haven't spent enough time with yet, but as an author who's looking to harness the full power of the web flip books, interactive documents, newsletters and so forth, I definitely see ID's utility.  And having an experienced user who's willing to devote so much energy to helping us relative newbies learns makes all the difference in the world.  I saved the files and documents you sent me and will study them more thoroughly in the upcoming weeks.

For now, I've gotten past my roadblock for the ID files I was working with and will forge ahead.

Thanks again for your assistance which went well beyond what I'd hoped for.

Rob

• 11. Re: Place Command not working for medium sized documents

You're quite welcome. I was a little worried I might have gotten carried away and overstepped with the general comments, but ID is a complex program, and you've picked a complex project to start. Basically, you got what I would have given one of my students were I still teaching.

Anyway, feel free to come on back with the next question.