6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2011 10:03 PM by Todd_Kopriva

AE CS3 - Adobe Flash Video - Format Options causes crash

Danbo342

Like the titles states. I see so many people say Adobe Flash Video is the way to go for export options yet AE always crashes on me when I choose it's - Format Options (from output module in the render queue).

I use Flash all the time and it works fine but since I cannot access AE's FLV format options. Each time I press it AE just locks up.

Is this one of things Adobe just never fixed in CS3? I don't care to read comments saying to use something else to render it. That isn't what I'm asking so save it. I created a simple object in AE and just want to see how it looks with FLV export. AVI looks fine but seems like everyone says it would look better as FLV. Since I cannot access the format options for FLV it is the worst option and very blurry so that leads me to believe it was one of those things Adobe just abonded in CS3.

I searched and found nothing. I would continue my search but Adobe's choice for forum format couldn't be any slower. If Adobe can answer this question maybe I can shed some light on saving it's members some agony and teach them some PHP. This is rediculously slow and my worst forum puts this to shame.

• 1. Re: AE CS3 - Adobe Flash Video - Format Options causes crash
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I searched and found nothing. I would continue my search but Adobe's choice for forum format couldn't be any slower. If Adobe can answer this question maybe I can shed some light on saving it's members some agony and teach them some PHP. This is rediculously slow and my worst forum puts this to shame.

*dingdong*: Forum Feedback

As for the rest, well, since you already used the word, let me reply in kind: ridiculous. You did not provide any useful info about your operating system and hardware nor whatever other software you are using, so for what it's worth, this is nothing but a pointless rant. Perhaps someone else will care for figuring this out on your behalf, I certainly don't... Good luck!

Mylenium

• 2. Re: AE CS3 - Adobe Flash Video - Format Options causes crash
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm confused? You're a flash guy that's a web guru and you're using After Effects CS3 to animate a simple object that is causing a crash. Ok I get that part. Are you using the render Cue? Are you using Export? Are you on Windows or Mac? Have you installed the CS3 updates, or are you complaining that the problem has existed since you were using CS3?

Are you also complaining about the forum search feature? I agree that it's not as good as Google, and sometimes I can't find a post that I just made, but it's usually an input error on my part. Very few folks use exactly the same phrase to describe their problems so it's sometimes hard to easily find an answer to a specific question.

If we knew a little more about your project, your system, and your methods then maybe we could point you to a solution that didn't involve an upgrade.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: AE CS3 - Adobe Flash Video - Format Options causes crash
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The FLV implementation in CS3 left a lot to be desired, and Flash video---both FLV and the much better and more recent F4V---got a lot better in CS4 and later. (Keep in mind that Adobe acquired Macromedia right before CS3 came out, so there wasn't a lot of time to get the integration solid.)

If you can, I recommend using something later than After Effects CS3 for Flash video output.

• 4. Re: AE CS3 - Adobe Flash Video - Format Options causes crash
                Danbo342 Level 1

Thanks Todd, that's what I figured. I remember when Adobe bought it  from Macromedia so figured it was just something I couldn't do with this  older version. I just figured I see what all the noise was and thought maybe it might have been an update for a plugin or something stupid. I normally use Xvid and either output in MP4 or AVI any. I'm not a video guy so rarely use AE. Just been experimenting and it's still a little foreign to me.

Appreciate the answer and your time!

[personal attack removed by moderator]

As for the forum, I have several times left "forum feedback" but hmmm, let's see. None of you, not even Adobe employees can say they aren't tired of how slow it is here. If I google something, I'm sure to see what links are from where and will always skip ones that start with "forums.adobe" unless I have expelled all other options which is rare. This isn't about you not thinking that's true, it's about what's on your nose and comparing my post count to your own, haha. Yes, I should have relaxed before my post and that comment but even back paging takes 30 seconds. Let me guess, you're going to say it's my bandwidth I suppose? I can upload 50mb a min, and on the right site download several hundred,,, not the issue, Take care now.

• 5. Re: AE CS3 - Adobe Flash Video - Format Options causes crash
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Regarding the forum performance and functionality:

There is a major upgrade happening this weeked to address performance and stability issues with the Adobe forums.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: AE CS3 - Adobe Flash Video - Format Options causes crash
                    Danbo342 Level 1

Thanks again Todd. That's good to know, and sorry for the rant. I just prefer to practice what I preach, and that's to read other posters comments before asking my own questions. I'm a better answer guy then a question person anyway.

Not sure why my responce to their personal attack was removed though and their wasn't. People need to learn to read is all.