6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2011 9:20 AM by SIcsempertyrannis

Simple Copy & Paste Question

SIcsempertyrannis Level 1

I want to copy 6 pages of text from one indesign document to another. Is there an easy way to do that w/o having to manually thread the text frames in the new doc?

• 1. Re: Simple Copy & Paste Question
          Sajeev Sridharan Level 4

you can use drag and drop method. Just follow this method, u will get the result:

1. open the two indesign files
          2. goto window -> arrange -> tile vertically
          3. open the page pallete
          4. drag the page and drop into the corresponding indesign file

Hope this will help...

Vandy

• 2. Re: Simple Copy & Paste Question

Thank-you for your response. Is there no better way to cut & paste copy on multiple pages between docs?

• 3. Re: Simple Copy & Paste Question
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you trying to copy all elements on the page, or just some, and are we dealing with just text, or other types of objects as well?

• 4. Re: Simple Copy & Paste Question

Just text. In Quark I can copy a 2 or 200 page document of text and paste it into a new doc, of any dimension, and the text will flow right in, in 2 steps, copy & paste. Is that not possible in Indesign? Thanks.

• 5. Re: Simple Copy & Paste Question
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Not exactly the same way, no.

Presumably you know how to copy the text you want (not the frames -- you can't select fames on multiple spreads at the same time). Quark requires a text box before you can add content, but ID allows you to create text frames on the fly, so here's how I would deal with this:

Copy the text in the source doc, then move to the first page where you want to paste in the destination doc. You may already have a frame on that page, but if you do, DON'T paste the text into it. Instead, move over so your view is more or less centered on the pasteboard and paste without making a frame or anything. By default ID will make a 2" square frame in the center of the screen and fill it with as much as will fit, leaving the rest overset.

With the selection tool, click the red plus sign in the out port of the small frame to pick up the text, then press backspace to delete the frame. All of the copied text will now be in the loaded cursor and you can auto-flow it into your document the same as if it were a text file you were placing.

• 6. Re: Simple Copy & Paste Question

Thank-you, Peter. This is what I am looking for. Got as far as the little square part on my own, but didnt know what was happening or what to do next.