12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2013 4:40 PM by ZombiMode

Scripts not showing in JavaScript debugger

kennyboy2001

Hi All,

I'm using LiveCycle Designer 8.0 and working on a form where I need to debug my JavaScript.

I can bring up the debugger succussfully and see that the Console is reporting but I don't see any scripts listed in the upper left window of the debugger.

I also tried Acrobat Professional 8.0 and set all of the relevant Preference settings for JavaScript. When I bring up the debugger, same problem.

Any ideas?

All help is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Scripts not showing in JavaScript debugger
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

LC forms can't be edited in Acrobat, or vice versa.

• 2. Re: Scripts not showing in JavaScript debugger
            kennyboy2001 Level 1

I "have" created the form in LC...just can't get the JS debugger to show my scripts. The scripts list area is completely blank in the debugger.

Thanks ~ Ken

• 3. Re: Scripts not showing in JavaScript debugger
              try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You need to edit the scripts in LC as well.

• 4. Re: Scripts not showing in JavaScript debugger
                gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Acrobat and LiveCycle Designer are 2 different program within the Acrobat product. The approach taken be each program is a different type of format. Acrobat has it AcroForm data structure and LiveCycle Designer used the XML data structure and wrapped it in a PDF envelope. As a result Acrobat knows and sees very little of the XML code, but LCD forms do need to provide and interface with Adobe JS Engine enough to run the script code. You will not that LCD offers 2 scripting languages and each has its strengths and weaknesses.  It is possible for LCD to call Acrobat/Reader application folder level code.

As noted, to edit and see the LCD scripts you need to use LiveCycle Designer.

LiveCycle Designer was developed by JetForms and JetForms was later acquired by Adobe and the JetForms product was add to the Adobe product as LiveCycle Designer.

• 5. Re: Scripts not showing in JavaScript debugger
                  kennyboy2001 Level 1

OK, I already know that Acrobat and LiveCycle Designer are different products. I also know thast I cannot edit LiveCycle designer scripts in Acrobat. I only mentioned Acrobat because the JS debugger in LiveCycle was not showing my scripts so I check the debugger in Acrobat as well.

Forget Acrobat...

The problem still remains that the JavaScript debugger in LiveCycle is not showing my scripts. My entire document was created the LC, not Acrobat.

Does anyone know why my scripts might not be appearing in in the LC JavaScript Debugger? The upper left window does not list any scripts so I have nothing to select and nothing to debug.

Thanks ~ Ken

• 6. Re: Scripts not showing in JavaScript debugger

There is no LCD JS debugger, it is Acrobat's debugger that comes up when using PDF Preview.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Scripts not showing in JavaScript debugger
                      DimitriM Level 3

Hi Kenneth,

LiveCycle Designer does not have a JS debugger but it does have a Script Editor.  There are detailed instructions on how to view and edit your scripts in the Script Editor in the LiveCycle Designer Help doc (Help -> Adobe LiveCycle Designer Help).  Do a search in that for "to view scripting events and scripts."

Hope this helps,

Dimitri

WindJack Solutions

www.pdfscripting.com

www.windjack.com

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Scripts not showing in JavaScript debugger
                        kennyboy2001 Level 1

DimitriM,

Thanks for the help and clarification. I'm a developer but some of the documentation is a little bit confusing because it crosses between Lifecycle Designer and Acrobat. As with any new environment there is a little bit of a struggle understanding the feature function set and scripting syntax. Nonetheless, I'm slowly crawling through it and making very good progress.Lifecycle Designer is an awesome tool. Thanks so much for your response.

Ken

• 9. Re: Scripts not showing in JavaScript debugger
                          kennyboy2001 Level 1

GKaiseril,

Thanks for the clarity!

Ken

• 10. Re: Scripts not showing in JavaScript debugger
                            mhsf

I am having the same problem. My script is executing, but I can't see it. BTW, it's in LC and I typed the script into the script editor yesterday. Today I open it and there is NO javascript, but the button still performs as programmed.

Any ideas?  I am new to LC (love it!) but this is a bit confusing.  

Thx

• 11. Re: Scripts not showing in JavaScript debugger

You should find more help in the LiveCycle Forums. This forum is for Acrobat.

• 12. Re: Scripts not showing in JavaScript debugger
                                ZombiMode

Hi Kennyboy2001,

I know it is probably too late to help you given the dates of this thread, but I just ran into the problem myself and thought others might need help.

For me, the script I had made in LCDesigner didn't show up in the script editer window the next time I opened the file for editing. The script would run fine, but I couldn't see or edit it.

I found out that another "event_click" had been created for the same object. It seemed to be overiding the viewing of the event_click with the script in it. I found this by browsing through the XML Source window (Select View menu>XML Source).

To fix my problem, I carefully deleted (in the XML source window) the other Event that was causing the mixup.

Delete everything between <event...> tag and the ending tag</event> of the same event.

I am by no means fluent in LC/Acrobat/JS but I hope this helps.

BTW, @GKaiseril: I am posting this here because this was the only post I could find that related to the subject. If there is anything in LC Forums, it didn't show up readily.