6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2011 8:36 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Pro/Encore CS5 playback issues

Wilderness08 Level 1

I successfully created a DVD (of a hockey practice) through Premiere Pro (linked to Encore) with no errors. It plays back properly on 3 different Windows 7 computers through Windows Media Player, but I tried it in my standalone DVD player and it will not even read the disk. This player is older, but it does play rented movies with no issues.

I tried the DVD I created on two other computers running XP OS with Windows media player. It played one one XP computer but not the other. On the one XP computer that was able to read the DVD, when the shot included a skater who was moving quickly, the image of the skater looked like it changed to vertical lines. If the static or slow moving elements of the shot are not look distorted. There is no distortion on the computers running W7 OS.

Since I am ovbiously new to this process, I was wondering:

1.  Why the XP computers (and my standard DVD player) are not able to play the video and what I can do to compensate if a person who wants to view this DVD has XP or an older DVD player.

2.  Why does the other player show quickly moving objects as distorted (and can I compensate for it).

Thank you to anyone who can help.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro/Encore CS5 playback issues
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What brand DVD did you use, and what burn settings?

A "bad" brand or sometimes a fast burn will cause problems in some set top players... and do remember, NO set top player is required by the DVD specification to play a burned DVD

Create an ISO (Encore) or folder on your hard drive (Encore or Premiere Elements) and then use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write files or folders or ISO to disc (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)
          Use Taiyo Yuden single layer or Verbatim dual layer
          Or Falcon Pro for inkjet printable dual layer

When you burn with Imgburn, use the slowest possible setting so the burned holes will be well formed

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere Pro/Encore CS5 playback issues
            Wilderness08 Level 1

Thank you very much for your reply (or should I say "replay-reply"). I used Sony brand DVD+R disks and the standard/default settings in Encore. At the risk of sounding ignorant, I'm not entirely sure what you meant by...

"Create an ISO (Encore) or folder on your hard drive (Encore or Premiere Elements) and then use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write files or folders or ISO to disc (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)"

Can you please elaborate. Thank you.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro/Encore CS5 playback issues
              Jim_Simon Level 8

There are three things that will ensure proper playback on any DVD player.

1. Use only the best brand blank media.  Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are very good, but Falcon Pro are the best.  Use them.

2. Use a very high quality burner at the media's lowest rated speed.  Sony/NEC (Optiarc) has consistently produced top quality hardware.  Pick one up if you can.  They're going for about $25 online.

3. Use the prefered format.  With 1 and 2 above in place, you should be fine using DVD-Rs for everything.  But if you come across the very, very rare stubborn player that still won't play a disk after 1 and 2 have been done, then try using DVD+R media, or even +R/W.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere Pro/Encore CS5 playback issues
                Andrey V Level 2

Well, I think your problem is in type of the disk you are using. Typically older DVD players and dvd ROMs are able to playback only DVD-R, and with recording speed not faster then 4x.

Also the discs you renting are slightly different then the ones you burn. First of all they are DVD-R, second -they are stamped, not burned, with much higher quality. Also you need to look at what bit rate you burning your dvds. Some old players can play only  7mbps. and some better brands can play up to 9mbps. And some times Audio has to be mpeg2 only for older players.

So, try different dvd, burn it at lower speed, try to burn with different bit rate, make sure your audio codec is Dolby digital, or mpeg2 for audio.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro/Encore CS5 playback issues
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim means - playback on MOST DVD players, when he says:

There are three things that will ensure proper playback on any DVD player.

• All DVD players are certified to play replicated discs. Most play burned discs, but not all (especially some older ones).
                  • Most current players do not have issues with either -R, or +R, but some older players will only play one type, or the other.

With those minor exceptions, I completely agree with Jim.

One should do all possible to ensure playability of their discs, but there are millions of DVD players out there, and there is no way that one can test on every model. Some will just have to be ignored, or perhaps with blank media type, accommodated by doing two versions, a -R, and a +R. As older players are phased out, and replaced by BD players, these issues will diminish, but will not likely disappear completely.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro/Encore CS5 playback issues
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm not entirely sure what you meant by...

"Create an ISO (Encore) or folder on your hard drive (Encore or Premiere Elements) and then use the FREEhttp://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write files or folders or ISO to disc (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)"

Basically, there are three ways to publish a DVD from Encore:

1. Burn to Disc
                    2. Burn to Folder
                    3. Burn to Image

Two and three are similar, though different. In two, one burns to a VIDEO_TS Folder, which contains all of the IFO, BUP and VOB files required. This VIDEO_TS Folder can be burned to disc, say with the great, free ImgBurn, or similar, or can be played in most DVD software players. Note: Windows Media Player is not the best, and depending on several factors, might not even play a fully-compliant VIDEO_TS Folder. MediaPlayer Classic HC (free), or CyberLink PowerDVD (either the free, or commercial versions) would be better. There are also others that do a better job, than WMP.

For three, instead of the VIDEO_TS Folder, one burns an Image, or ISO file. Think of this as a ZIP file (though it is NOT a ZIP, but an ISO, the concept is very similar) with the VIDEO_TS Folder inside, plus its files included into an ISO container. This can also be burned to disc, and ImgBurn handles that task well, or can be played via some DVD software players (such as VLC Player), or "mounted" via other software, and then played by most DVD software players.

As you can see, two and three are similar, but there ARE differences. Some users prefer the VIDEO_TS Folder, while other like the contained ISO file.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt