Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz

Number Of Processors: 2

Total Number Of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache (per processor): 8 MB

Memory: 16 GB

After Effect Settings (CS5 v 10.0.2)

Preview - Open GL is off  (behavior is the same with Open GL on)

Audio Duration set to 30 seconds

Disc Cache - 2GB

Memory - Installed Ram: 16GB

Ram reserved for other programs: 6GB

Render Multiple Frames (usually set to off, but behavior is same with it on)

Cores: 16

CPU reserved: 3

RAM/CPU: 3GB

As the title says, scrubbing any audio inside of After Effects causes the program to beachball, pegging processor use at 100.9% and the program gets marked as not responding. By scrubbing audio, I mean holding down the command key while dragging through the timeline to preview the video with the audio for timing cuts and hits. This is happening with projects that only contain an image sequence and a sound file, projects with 3d camera moves and multiple layers... pretty much if I have  to bring a sound file in to AE, I know it will crash when I need to check the audio.

I have tried opening a fresh project with only an audio file (a new project for each a wav, a mp3, and an m4a) and attempting to scrub through the timeline causes AE to freeze.

I am beyond frustrated at this point, as quick projects have turned in to days of work. Any ideas on how to revert AE back to a usable product are greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Scrubbing Audio causes AE to beachball
          TimeRemapper Level 4

Try converting your audio to an uncompressed .aif or .wav prior to using it in AE. My guess is the decoding the mpeg streams might be screwing with your interactivity.

• 2. Re: Scrubbing Audio causes AE to beachball
            Evan4954 Level 1

Sadly, I have the same crash on scrubbing an aif or wav file.

Here is the crash report from scrubbing a wav file. Hopefully it will prove useful to someone smarter than I.

http://pastebin.com/DtPksC62

• 3. Re: Scrubbing Audio causes AE to beachball
              TimeRemapper Level 4

Do you have the most recent Wacom drivers? Also, do you have OpenGL disabled? How about the hardware accelerate panels preference? Disabled? Speaking of prefs, what are you using for your audio preferences?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Scrubbing Audio causes AE to beachball
                Evan4954 Level 1

Sorry for the delay in response, I was on vacation and have just gotten caught up enough to return to this issue.

I had the most recent Wacom drivers when reporting the issue. There was a new version released today and I have updated to that. Updating the wacom driver did not resolve the issue.

OpenGL is disabled. The issue persists with OpenGL enabled.

I disabled "hardware accelerate panels" and I am able to now scrub through a single audio track of any format on the second try.

1. I attempt to scrub through a track and my machine beach balls for a minute
                2. I regain control of the program and am able to scrub through a single audio file
                3. When I get to a second audio file in the timeline my machine beachballs and After Effects stops responding just like before

Here is the most recent crash log - http://pastebin.com/cxBujE9F 

This happens when switching from a wav to a wav, form a wav to an aif, wav to mp3, mp3 to wav, etc. It will freeze for a moment on the first file and completely hang on the second file.

As for audio preferences

Audio Hardware:

Default Device: System Default

Buffer Size: 512

Audio Output Mapping:

Map output for: System Default

Left: Headphones 1

Right: Headphones 2

Output:

Audio Block Duration: 0:00:01:00

• 5. Re: Scrubbing Audio causes AE to beachball
                  TimeRemapper Level 4

Maybe try increasing your Buffer Size. Try 2048 and see if the problem still exists. Aside from that, that's all I got.

• 6. Re: Scrubbing Audio causes AE to beachball
                    Evan4954 Level 1

I bumped the audio buffer up to 2MB (I am assuming it is in MB and not in GB) and while there are stutters every now and then I am able to scrub through both audio and video.

Thank you very much. I had increased the audio buffer before posting without success, so I believe it was a combination of the increased audio buffer and disabling the hardware acelerated panels.