2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2011 3:51 PM by Jim_Simon

Removing edits

Navarro Parker Level 3

Working on a job where the client initially wanted an edit of a live presentation that removed all the "Ums", "Ahs", repeated words, stutters and so on. That left a really chopped up timeline that I had to cover with B-roll and cutaways.

Now the client thinks there's too much B-roll and cutaways and doesn't mind the "ums" and "ahs" so much.

Is there a nice/good/fast/pleasant/non-painful way to ripple edit a clip until it matches the frame of the next clip beside it?

• 1. Re: Removing edits
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Just use the Ripple Edit Tool and add outgoing frames or incoming frames where necessary. A lot of times, I'll delete some of the tiny pieces to leave a gap, and then ripple out the previous segment or ripple in the following segment until I fill the gap. Once the gap is filled, continue to ripple until you've replaced the material.

My usual workflow is to put all usable soundbites, with the, um, annoying pauses into it that I use as a "selects" sequence. From there, I copy and paste (or just duplicate it) into a working sequence and edit to clean it up. Versioning sequences is ALWAYS a good idea and can save you tons of work and re-work.

Ain't no easy way to do it--that's why they call it editing

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Removing edits
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Once you move the clips in the sequence, you lose your reference about where the two should join.  Ripple edit will not find it again automatically.