1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 16, 2011 2:10 PM by Steve Grisetti

Choppy Video

Ergochick10

First of all let me say, I am new to video editing and Adobe Elements.  I have read through many of these discussions and can not follow any of what is being said.  I have a few projects for work that require video and this was the software I was asked to use.  So far I have figured out how to use it fairly well, but need help with the quality.

My videos appear very choppy on screen.  When I called Adobe they told me to update my drivers.  Done, but no help.  I just got a new computer with 8 gigs of RAM (hope that's right) but still very choppy.  Can anyone help a not tech savvy person figure out how to get better quality video?

• 1. Re: Choppy Video
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, what type of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get it onto your computer? Some video formats can demand much more computer power to edit than others.

Second, when you started your Premiere Elements project, did you ensure that your project settings matched the video you were loading into it? Matching your project settings and source video is vital to a successful project. (If your project settings match your video perfectly, there will NOT be a red line above the clips you add to your timeline until you add effects to them. Is that the case in your project?)

Finally, what operating system are you using, how fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have? It's quite possible your computer simply doesn't have the power to work with your video.

For a good overview of the program's basics, have a look at my free 8-part Basic Training tutorial series at Premiere Elements support site Muvpix.com.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

It's not a good idea to get too deeply into a project without a good fundamental understanding of the program and how to use it. You may find that, if you do, you have to go back and redo a lot of your work later!