10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2006 2:24 PM by Peter Grainge

Error Message When Working in Projects

Puzzled_SOP

RoboHelp is giving users in our department the following RoboHTML.exe - Application Error Message:

The instruction at "0x1512c93d" referenced memory at "0x00000001." The memory could not be "read."

Click on OK to terminate the program.
      Click on CANCEL to debug the program.

No matter which option is selected, the project closes. Has anyone experienced this error message before? If so, how did you resolve this issue?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Error Message When Working in Projects
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional
          The usual cause of this is trying to work on an output file instead of a source file. Are there some red squares in the WYSIWYG view?

• 2. Re: Error Message When Working in Projects
            Puzzled_SOP Level 1
            No, there are no red squares in the WYSIWYG view. Sometimes this message appears when trying to open a project and it's not the same project. There is no consistency as to when the error message appears. It could appear at anytime.
            • 3. Re: Error Message When Working in Projects
              Has it previously worked OK?

You say it is happening to multiple users. Was it installed on each machine with the users logon or did IT install it with one of their logons?
              • 4. Re: Error Message When Working in Projects
                Puzzled_SOP Level 1
                IT installed RoboHelp with IT's logon on each of our machines. We are, obviously, on a network. This error message starting appearing about one month ago...but, is not popping up more frequently. Nothing really has changed. There are four users with RoboHelp access...which was always the case since we had RoboHelp installed in September 2004. However, until about a month ago, there were only three users who used RoboHelp everyday. Now all four users are using RoboHelp on a daily basis. I don't think this should cause an issue. We have asked IT for version control...but, they are reluctant. Any suggestions?
                • 5. Re: Error Message When Working in Projects
                  Did you read the topic on my site? RH must be installed using the user's logon. Also projects must be on your hard disk, not a network drive.

Ignore those and you will continue to see the problem. These forums are littered with posts about other means of installing and running projects across a network.

• 6. Re: Error Message When Working in Projects
                    Puzzled_SOP Level 1
                    That doesn't explain why the issue never came up in the past. We've been using RoboHelp for two years without this issue arising. I would think if being on a network were the issue, this would have come up prior to this.
                    • 7. Re: Error Message When Working in Projects
                      With apologies to Space Cowboys, do you want a tutorial or do you want to fix it?

Underpinning RH is an Access database and they do not work well across a lot of networks. Some small change to the network or an increased volume of traffic could be what has triggered the problem.

Maybe it has worked well in the past, it does for some users but then things go wrong.

Install one authors copy of RH properly and have them create a new project on their hard disk.

• 8. Re: Error Message When Working in Projects
                        HKabaker Level 2
                        Another angle is the pace at which network administrators make improvements, including a closer check of a user's permissions, virus screening and other features that tend to slow down response time. I believe this is the biggest factor in MS Access getting hiccups when you're receiving and sending database information.

And need I mention the Windows security enhancements in Microsoft's OS updates over the past three years?

Harvey
                        • 9. Re: Error Message When Working in Projects
                          NWStreethawk
                          I have been seeing a similar problem. It was working at one point and something happened. Have followed all of the information below (uninstall, reinstall under user name and utilize local drive) and still seeing the issue. In addition to the referenced memory there are references to dao350.dll. So it's possible that a security patch came out that mucked with dao350.dll? My main question is why is it that Adobe doesn't see these issues? There is nothing extraordinary about how we build our machines. And when I sent a message to them months ago on an install issue I noted it was a service pack 2 issue which is NO WHERE as a potential issue on the website. At least not that I could find. And the response from technical support is essentially "good luck with that". Do they even have a technical support staff or is it just a call center?

Sorry for the vent. Just getting more and more frustrated with superior attitude of Adobe as of late.
                          • 10. Re: Error Message When Working in Projects
                            Welcome to the forum NWStreethawk.

My main question is are you just having a rant or are you seeking help? It's no good ranting here because these forums are for peer to peer support and they are not viewed by Adobe. If you want some help, then we need to work on the problem but you give us little to go on.

What version are you using and what flavour? (X5, RH for Word, RH HTML).

What help are you generating.

Do you get the problem if you create a new project?

We need stuff like that to help you.