13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2011 7:25 PM by nedsperit1 RSS

Question re activating CS2 on Windows 7

nedsperit1 Community Member

I am having a problem activating CS2 on a new Windows 7 computer.  It seemed to install fine (although I had to create a new folder to put it in: Programs/Adobe, since it didn't like Programs (x86)), and it registered fine. When I open Photoshop, however, it opens the home page and then gives me the following message: "Your Adobe Photoshop user name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid.  The application cannot continue and must now exit."  When I try opening other programs, I get other messages - e.g., "No valid Acrobat serial number found.  Acrobat will now quit."  Illustrator CS2 seems to open, then vanishes.

The problem is NOT that CS2 is incompatible with Windows 7, because I previously successfully loaded it on this same computer.  (The reason I have to do it again is that I had to send the computer back to the manufacturer for repair, and it was reset to the original state.)

Did I make a mistake in creating a new folder for the program?  How can I load it successfully?  Ideas welcome.

• 1. Re: Question re activating CS2 on Windows 7
          Community Member

You need to run the program as administrator the first time to get the registration/activation preferences set. After that, you can run it with normal user privileges.

• 2. Re: Question re activating CS2 on Windows 7

That didn't work.  Do I need to uninstall it and reinstall it and then try

to activate as administrator?

• 3. Re: Question re activating CS2 on Windows 7
              Community Member

Sorry. I skimmed your question and missed that you installed it in an odd folder. Yes. Uninstall and then reinstall in the proper folder.

C:\progra~2\adobe

64bit Windows introduced a new program files folder that the CS2 installer does not understand. The path of C:\progra~2\adobe will work.

• 4. Re: Question re activating CS2 on Windows 7

Thanks, Marian.  I'll try that.  But on the C drive I don't see any

C:\progra~2\adobe.  All I see is    C:Program Files\adobe

and C:\Program Files (x86)\adobe [which has the Photoshop suite, which won't

open, and Reader X, which works fine]

• 5. Re: Question re activating CS2 on Windows 7
                  Noel Carboni Community Member

Marian Driscoll wrote:

.... The path of C:\progra~2\adobe will work.

That's not at all necessary.  Adobe software has understood long filenames since well before version CS2!

There is nothing wrong with installing Photoshop into:  C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2

I've done it myself on a 64 bit Windows 7 system and it works just fine.

Windows7x64DesktopWithPSCS2.jpg

Ned, I'd suggest completely uninstalling the Adobe software, and installing it again to the default location that I listed above, then we can try to get to the bottom of any problems you have then.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Question re activating CS2 on Windows 7

Ok, I uninstalled CS2 and then tried to reinstall it *at C:\Program Files

(x86)\Adobe.  I got the error message: "The path you selected for

installation contains unsupported characters.  Please choose a different

folder for installation." *

I get the same error message when I "browse" for the location as well.

What does "unsupported characters" mean?

• 7. Re: Question re activating CS2 on Windows 7

Are you installing just Photoshop CS2 or the entire suite?

-Noel

• 8. Re: Question re activating CS2 on Windows 7

Entire suite (not including Reader).  Would I be better off just installing

photoshop?

• 9. Re: Question re activating CS2 on Windows 7

Well, I know for sure Photoshop will install in that folder.  I may well have misspoken earlier because I have not personally tried installing the entire CS2 suite under Windows 7, but I do know Photoshop CS2 will install in the folder named.

-Noel

• 10. Re: Question re activating CS2 on Windows 7
                            Community Member

Noel Carboni wrote:

Marian Driscoll wrote:

.... The path of C:\progra~2\adobe will work.

That's not at all necessary.  Adobe software has understood long filenames since well before version CS2!

It is not an issue with long filenames. It is an issue with the CS2 installer being confused by the presence of parentheses in a path.

Here is the Adobe technical article that decribes the issue with a bit more authority than myself. It was written for 64bit XP but it applies to all 64bit Windows versions.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/331/331755.html

• 11. Re: Question re activating CS2 on Windows 7
                              Community Member

nedsperit1 wrote:

But on the C drive I don't see any C:\progra~2\adobe. 

C:\progra~2\adobe is the DOS equivalent of C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe

If you type in the DOS equivalent in the Adobe installer, you will be fine.

• 12. Re: Question re activating CS2 on Windows 7

Marian, I apologize - I misspoke earlier because I thought we were talking about Photoshop only (this IS the Photoshop forum after all).  The short filename may well be needed for the full Creative Suite.

However, the short filename / ling filename relationship can differ from system to system.

1.  Short filenames can be turned off.  Obviously this is not a good idea on a system where older legacy software needs them.

2.  Short filenames are created at run-time, meaning the order they were created could cause the number to be different on different systems.  That said, since the Windows installer creates these folders, it may be true that they're always created in the same order and that PROGRA~2 is always Program Files (x86).  I'm not sure.

You can use the following command line command to list the short filenames on your system, to be sure:

DIR "c:\Progr*" /X

Volume in drive C has no label.
                                Volume Serial Number is 7CB2-ACBF

Directory of c:\

09/17/2011  05:24 PM    <DIR>          PROGRA~1     Program Files
                                09/08/2011  12:30 PM    <DIR>          PROGRA~2     Program Files (x86)

-Noel

• 13. Re: Question re activating CS2 on Windows 7

Marian, Noel,

I appreciate all your suggestions.  But I'm thinking that my problem lies

elsewhere.  I was able to install CS2 successfully, or so I thought - it was

when I opened Photoshop that it started to open, then told me that the name,

institution, or serial number didn't match.  The serial number has to be

correct - it's on the box.  And I don't know what other name or institution

I could use.  So I'm stymied on that.

As a "bonus," it messes me up with opening pdf files because it defaults to

Acrobat, which didn't load properly from the CS2 disc.  So I had to change

the default settings back to Reader X, since I don't otherwise have Acrobat.

Ned