4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2006 10:26 PM by SiuLinda

Problem with Database (Xmysql xtra)

SiuLinda
      Dear all,

I write a program to input Traditional Chinese data into MYSQL database, however, I found that the Traditional Chinese data in the server (where SQL Server is installed) can't be read.

Traditional Chinese Data can't be displayed property in the server utility database viewer, but my program can wirte and read the Traditional Chinese data out from the database perfectly.

The problem is when the data is being enquired via web site like PHP, they also can't be displayed and searched properly, is that related to Data Set question? Please Help!

Linda
        • 1. Re: Problem with Database (Xmysql xtra)
          duckets Level 1

This sounds like it might be a question better asked on a PHP discussion forum, perhaps?

Unless I'm missing the point, you've made a program (in director, I assume) which successfully reads and writes chinese data to your server. Ok so far, - but your problem is that a PHP page on a web site can't display/search it properly, right?

This may be of some use to you, depending on how you have encoded your chinese characters:

http://uk2.php.net/mbstring

- Ben

• 2. Re: Problem with Database (Xmysql xtra)
            SiuLinda Level 1
            Thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, you are right that my program can read and write the Traditional Chinese Characters properly.

But my problem is when I have to view the data in Server (another machine that I have installed MySQL Server Software, and it got a database viewer in the software), the Traditional Chinese Characters can't be displayed properly. PHP is just another place that the Traditional Chinese Characters can't be displayed properly as well.

I guess might be it is the problem if Director reading and writing Unicode characters? cos Director seems not to support Unicode? Are there any xtra that can help Director reading and writing Unicode characters? Cos Traditional Chinese Characters should be double byte characters.

Please correct me if I have stated anything wrong. Hope for any advice.
            • 3. Re: Problem with Database (Xmysql xtra)
              Level 7
              I think it is "Data Set Question"

Do you use Xmysql function like this:
              gMysql.Xm_ExecSQL("set character set gbk")
              to get the database?

If you use Phpmyadmin to open the Mysql, which data set is showed?

regards,
              amith

• 4. Re: Problem with Database (Xmysql xtra)
                SiuLinda Level 1
                Thank you Amith, yes, I have tried Phpmyadmin, and it can't display the characters correctly as well...
                Could anyone please help please?