25 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2011 12:53 AM by Wickoo

InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool

Wickoo

Whenever I type anything into a text box, InDesign freezes and then shuts down. I can only type 1 or 2 letters before this happens and it happens every time whether the document is a new one or an existing one.  I can place a picture into the document with no problems.

I recently upgraded to Snow Leopard from Leopard and wonder if this has anything to do with it. I run a Mac with CS5 InDesign Version 7.04.

The crash report informs me 'EXC BAD ACCESS(SIGBUS)" and "Kern Protection Failure", which means nothing to me.

Any help would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool
          Michiharu Ariza Adobe Employee

A typical cause for this kind of problem to happen on MacOSX is a bad font in your system.

In that case you may see names like CGFontCreateFontsWithPath or _eFOGetFontTableDirectory close to the top of your crash report.

Refer to troubleshooting fonts <http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/843/cpsid_84363.html>.

It is written for Photoshop, but many steps are applicable to InDesign as well, such as

Solution 3, Solution 5: Step 4, 6, 7. Give them a try.

• 3. Re: InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool
            Wickoo Level 1

Thankyou.

I followed the link you suggested, Peter, and the crucial line seems to be:

0 com.adobe.InDesign.LILO      0x249b2098 GetPlugIn + 19528

What is this LILO thing?

• 4. Re: InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool

LILO is a spell checker. Try disabling spell checking options to see if the problem goes away.

What language do you use in InDesign?

• 5. Re: InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool
                Wickoo Level 1

A partial success, Michiharu. I disabled spell checking as you suggested and now I can, after opening a new document, type away to my heart's content with no drama.

However, upon opening an existing document with existing text, when I try typing........freeze and crash.

I use English (UK).

• 6. Re: InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You probably need to turn off spell checking in each documetnn when you open it.

Of course, you shouldn't HAVE to turn off spell checking, and the crash implies either a damaged plugin or a conflict with something else. Do you have any third-party plugins installed? How about a font manager?

• 7. Re: InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool
                    John Hawkinson Level 5

I followed the link you suggested, Peter, and the crucial line seems to be:

0 com.adobe.InDesign.LILO      0x249b2098 GetPlugIn + 19528

Can you give us the next 10 lines (or perhaps the whole thread0 section)?

Alternatively you can upload the entire report to pastebin.com (please don't post it here, the forum doesn't deal with large posts very well).

• 8. Re: InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool
                      Wickoo Level 1

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)

Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000001

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Thread 0 Crashed:  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0   com.adobe.InDesign.LILO                 0x249bc098 GetPlugIn + 19528

1   com.adobe.InDesign.Linguistics          0x1afd2e54 GetPlugIn + 127028

2   com.adobe.InDesign.Linguistics          0x1afd3789 GetPlugIn + 129385

3   com.adobe.InDesign.Linguistics          0x1afd1b75 GetPlugIn + 122197

4   ...adobe.InDesign.AppFramework          0x19fbff65 GetPlugIn + 242229

5   ...adobe.InDesign.AppFramework          0x19fc0e8c GetPlugIn + 246108

6   ...adobe.InDesign.AppFramework          0x19f62d28 0x19f60000 + 11560

7   ...adobe.InDesign.AppFramework          0x19f884fa GetPlugIn + 14282

8   com.adobe.InDesign                      0x000028ab main + 187

9   com.adobe.InDesign                      0x000027c6 start + 54

• 9. Re: InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool
                        Wickoo Level 1

In Preferences there is an option to find Misspelled Words, Repeated Words, Uncapitalised Words and Uncapitalised Sentences. With new documents, it doesn't matter if these options are checked or not; InDesign doesn't crash. (Nor are any of those things found in the document, ie it doesn't work.) However if Dynamic Spelling is checked, it crashes.

With existing documents, it doesn't matter what is checked or not: It crashes.

I don't have any third party plugins or a font manager that I know of.

This is what comes up if I use Spotlight, find LILO and click it. It appears in a box "Terminal 80x24".

Last login: Mon Sep 19 16:27:10 on ttys000

/Users/John/Desktop/Adobe/Adobe\ InDesign\ CS5/Plug-Ins/Dictionaries/LILO/LILO.InDesignPlugin/Versions/A/LILO ; exit;

unknown-00-1f-5b-b4-74-49:~ John$ /Users/John/Desktop/Adobe/Adobe\ InDesign\ CS5/Plug-Ins/Dictionaries/LILO/LILO.InDesignPlugin/Versions/A/LILO ; exit;

-bash: /Users/John/Desktop/Adobe/Adobe InDesign CS5/Plug-Ins/Dictionaries/LILO/LILO.InDesignPlugin/Versions/A/LILO: cannot execute binary file

logout

[Process completed]

Spotlight also brings up LILO plugins. Should I posr details of these?

• 10. Re: InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool
                          John Hawkinson Level 5

Wickoo:

Thread 0 Crashed:  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0   com.adobe.InDesign.LILO                 0x249bc098 GetPlugIn + 19528

9   com.adobe.InDesign                      0x000027c6 start + 54

Well, thanks for posting more. It doesn't appear to add much information we did not know, however. It just looks like the normal invokation of the spellchecker.

Did you try Ariza-san's recommendations from post #1? That looks to be the way to go.

Also, do you have any uncode characters in your documents?

Spotlight also brings up LILO plugins. Should I posr details of these?

Well, what you posted from Spotlight looks to be expected., I don't think we have any reason to believe your InDesign installation is corrupt.

• 11. Re: InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool
                            Wickoo Level 1

I am stuck on Solution 5, step 4. How do I find the Indesign font cache?

• 12. Re: InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool
                              Wickoo Level 1

I found it. Step 7 to go.

• 13. Re: InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool

Also try resetting InDesign preferences following this knowledge base.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407987.html

As the last resort, taking LILO plugin out of InDesign's plug-in folder should make the crash go away when opening an existing document, but it has an undesired side effect of InDesign complaning about the missing plugin and change of hyphenation.

I am trying to get help from LILO team but it may take a while.

• 14. Re: InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool

You never answered about the possibility of a conflict with a third-party plugin...

Do you have any of those? How about a font manager?

• 15. Re: InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool
                                    Wickoo Level 1

Hello

I don't have any third-party plugins or a font manager. As for unicode characters: I don't know what they are.

I have completed the font troubleshooting process. That is, I validated all the fonts, emptied the caches and checked for damaged faults. Unfortunately I still have the same problem.

I will reset the preferences but am away for a week so will report back after that time.

Many thanks for all the help so far.It is much appreciated.

By the way, my daughter set me up in this forum and used the name of our cat, hence the name Wickoo.

• 16. Re: InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool
                                      Wickoo Level 1

I tried creating a new text frame/box in an existing document and had no problems adding text to this. But it crashed when adding text to an existing text frame in the document.

• 17. Re: InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool

Wickoo wrote:

I tried creating a new text frame/box in an existing document and had no problems adding text to this. But it crashed when adding text to an existing text frame in the document.

OK, this does NOT sound like corrupt prefs or any sort of conflict, but rather document corruption that might be cleaned with an export to .idml. See Remove minor corruption by exporting

If that doesn't work you may need to replace the offending text frame, or you can try copying the content from this file into a new document.

• 18. Re: InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool
                                          John Hawkinson Level 5

I don't have any third-party plugins or a font manager. As for unicode characters: I don't know what they are.

Unicode is a way of representing characters beyond the 128 plain standard roman ASCII characters. For purposes of this, the question is really whether you have any specially accented characters (such as é), or things that are not regualr roman letters, numbers, spaces, and standard typewriter punctuation marks.

• 19. Re: InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool

If the problem appears to be document specific, can we get a copy so we can investigate at Adobe?

My e-mail address is ariza at-sign adobe period com

• 20. Re: InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool
                                              Wickoo Level 1

Hello

I have about 30 existing documents and all of them crash if I type into them, regardless of spelling options.

However if I type into a new document or into a new text frame in any of the older documents, all is well.

Unless I use dynamic spelling, in which case InDesign crashes.

I can use "Check Spelling" without causing a crash. And the "Check Spelling" works.

All I can think of is that there might be a conflict between the text in the old documents, created with LILO, and the new text added which had LILO unplugged. Is this feasible?

In any case, is it possible to get LILO back? It is present in my computer.

John, the only possible Unicode I have is the British pound symbol.

• 21. Re: InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool
                                                John Hawkinson Level 5

Wickoo:

Looks like you have several options open to you:

1. As Peter Spier suggested in #17, please export your document to IDML and open the exported file and see if the problems persist.

2. Email your file to Ariza-san. Perhaps you are not aware, but it is actually extremely rare for Adobe employees to offer your this level of diagnostic. Count yourself very lucky and take advantage of it!

3. You might also also try exporting one of the stories to InDesign Tagged Text, deleting the existing story, and re-importing the story. But I'd try that last.

All I can think of is that there might be a conflict between the text in the old documents, created with LILO, and the new text added which had LILO unplugged. Is this feasible?

This doesn't really make sense. You were having the same problem before you removed the LILO plugin, correct?

In any case, is it possible to get LILO back? It is present in my computer.

This question is also quite confusing. If you have it installed, you have it installed. If you moved it out of the Plug-Ins folder, all you need to do to restore it is to move it back. What is the question?

John, the only possible Unicode I have is the British pound symbol.

Well, it only takes one. There is an outside (low) possibility your crash is related to unicode characters. I would see if you can replicate the problem in documents that lack the £. But try the other suggestions first!

• 22. Re: InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool
                                                  Wickoo Level 1

Thankyou. I will try the 3 options when I get back from in a weeks time.

I'm sorry John if you're confused. So am I! The crash report said "GetPlugin" so I thought that meant that LILO had somehow become unplugged. I never removed LILO.

Once again, many thanks to everyone.

• 23. Re: InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool
                                                    John Hawkinson Level 5

I'm sorry John if you're confused. So am I! The crash report said

"GetPlugin" so I thought that meant that LILO had somehow become

unplugged.

Ah. Sorry. We could get technical but, basically...No, it does not

mean that the plugin is disabled. Crash reports in GetPlugIn are

normal and the string "GetPlugIn" is essentially meaningless. It

certainly does not mean "I can't find this plugin."

• 24. Re: InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool

I heard back from an engineer familiar with LILO. This crash appears to be caused by a version inconsistency between LILO and other plugins, possibly due to a plugin folder permission problem while applying InDesign updates.

A solution is to un-install InDesign, re-install it, then re-apply updates. It should also fix the permission problem. Could you give it a try and let us know if it works.

• 25. Re: InDesign Crashes Whenever I Use the Type Tool
                                                        Wickoo Level 1

The un-install, re-install and updates worked. I seem to recall that an earlier attempt to update failed so the permission problem mentioned above might have caused the problem I experienced.

Many thanks to Michiharu, the LILO engineer and Peter and John.

Wickoo.