6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2011 6:39 AM by Harm Millaard

System for ~ 1300 €

BewegtBildBau

Hello,

I am going to set up a new system for PPro, After Effects and some C4D. That is what I came up with so far:

1 x Intel Core i7-2600K, 4x 3.40GHz, boxed (BX80623I72600K)

1 x ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5, GeForce GTX 570, 1.25GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort (90-C1CQ60-X0UAY0BZ)

1 x ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, Z68 (dual PC3-10667U DDR3)

2 x TeamGroup Elite DIMM Kit 8GB PC3-10667U CL9-9-9-24 (DDR3-1333) (TED38192M1333HC9DC)

1 x Fractal Design Define R3 schwarz, schallgedämmt (FD-CA-DEF-R3-BL)

1 x Thermalright HR-02 Macho (Sockel 775/1155/1156/1366/AM2/AM3/AM3+/FM1)

1 x Seasonic X-Series X-560 560W ATX 2.3 (SS-560KM) (semi-passiv)

4 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)

1 x Crucial m4 SSD 128GB, 2.5", SATA 6Gb/s (CT128M4SSD2)

After reading Harms article about SSDs I am thinking about not buying the SSD.

Here on the board I have the feeling that there is a tendancy for the EVGA version of the GTX 570 and for an ASUS P8P67 EVO instead of the ASROCK Z68. Am I right? Can someone tell me why? Also Corsair Vengeance RAM seems to be preferred but I could not see the point of 1600 RAM. Am I missing something?

It is the first PC I build after 10 years so every recommendation is very welcome!

Cheers

Erik

• 1. Re: System for ~ 1300 €
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Erik,

With that PSU you will likely get into trouble. 560 W is really minimal, you are better off with a Gold label 750 - 850 W PSU. You can check your requirements by going to eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Pro v2.5

and getting the Pro version, setting CPU load to 100% and capacitor aging to 30%. Then add 10 - 15% for safety to the calculated wattage.

You are going for the unlocked version of the 2600, so persumably you may consider overclocking. Then 1600 memory will be most welcome. Also, Teamgroup is a rather obscure brand and I don't know how reliable such a brand is. The Crucial M4 is a good choice for the boot drive, but if you are in a budget squeeze, that is the first thing I would lose.

I tested the start-up time of Audition (3s), Dreamweaver (7s), Encore (5s), Photoshop (7s) and Premiere (7s) using a 150 GB Velociraptor. Keep in mind that this disk is slow in comparison to more modern disks, even with the 10000 RPM spindle. I really wonder if the alleged improvement in loading times of SSD's are worth the price difference. So far I have not heard from SSD users that their loading times are faster and this is measured up to the moment that the splash screen is displayed with the project to open.

Hope this helps.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: System for ~ 1300 €
            BewegtBildBau Level 1

Hi,

thanks very much for your advice.

As an alterative I had this PSU in mind: Antec High Current Pro HCP-750

For the RAM I figure that Corsair Vengeance 16 GB Set 1600 is the one to go.

Are these good choices?

• 3. Re: System for ~ 1300 €
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Both are good choices. I use the Vengeance myself. Just for your own piece of mind, check the link for the PSU calculator I gave you earlier and perform the calculation. I think you are OK with 750W, but it is a small effort to check with all your components, including fans, optical burner, USB devices, planned additional disks, etc.

• 4. Re: System for ~ 1300 €
                Zoop studio Level 1

Your buiding almost the same like the system I just finishd.

For psu I choose the Cooler master GX 750 (€ 90,-) and I have a Asus P8Z68 Vpro witch I like for the many sata connections and the great Efi bios software:

One button automated overclocking... 4.4 Ghz. and great mobo fan control.. so amazing quit.

I'm now working with this beast for a week and it's very smooth and fast (6 AVCHD pip layers,  no problem)

O,and I have a very cheap Gigabyte GTS 450 OC2, 2 fan  video card (€ 105) witch scores the same in the PPBM5 as the bigger brothers.

My PPBM5 score is just number 150 because I have just 1 Hitachi 7K3000 2Tb disk for footage (I only use AVCHD files for  now) and I run the test on CS 5.5, of all the 5.5 tested systems

my score is number 31.

If you use a non modular psu in the Fractal Design don't put the thick psu/mobo cable via the cable room on the right but just leave it in the ''main'' room (you won't close the right panel properly)

• 5. Re: System for ~ 1300 €
                  BewegtBildBau Level 1

Ok. This is what I ended up with:

1x Intel Core i7-2600K

1x ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5

1x ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

1x Corsair Vengeance schwarz DIMM Kit 16GB

1x Fractal Design Define R3 schwarz

1x Thermalright HR-02 Macho

4x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1000GB

1x Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750

Currently I am running it at 4.5 GHz and everything seems to work fine.

The Thermalright is VERY big and there is no space left between it and the RAM.

My next project is a 30 sec spot with Red One footage which will be the test for the system.

With 220 Points I am on place 76 as Rennder (a typo ... should have been "Renner" (runner in english)) at the PPBM5.

Thanks for your help!

• 6. Re: System for ~ 1300 €
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Your entry has been corrected. Your disk setup can be improved upon. A four disk raid10 is about equally fast as a two disk raid0, but you are misssing a separate OS disk. I think you can improve your score on the Disk I/O test by adding a separate 320 GB Samsung F4 boot disk, around € 32.