24 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2011 1:11 PM by kjohn73

Please help me to sort out this problem

tpk1982 Level 4

Hi All,

I am using indesign CS4 and Mac OSX. I created one indesign document and did ps to PDF. I used OTF font. After pdf created i realise some characters are come as junk, that means some character like "hn" are come as Ϋ. Then i recreated the PDF with same settings, it's come perfectly without glyph applied.

Anyone know how it happened and why it happens?

It is useful bwcause i can't proofread all the contents each time. Because i don't know when it comes wrong!

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Please help me to sort out this problem
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The preferred method of making PDF is to use the File > Export command

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Please help me to sort out this problem
            tpk1982 Level 4

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. My client always ask to do .ps then use distiller for creating PDF.

I am curious to know why this issue comes repeatedly. Is it font problem or printer setting problem?

Anyhow if i recreated the same method, then it displays good.

Can you please briefly explain me about this issue. Because my client asks the explanation.

• 3. Re: Please help me to sort out this problem
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You’re mixing archaic workflows with modern fonts and software. FWIW, I have no idea why it’s happening and IMO it would be silly to try and troubleshoot something like this when exporting the PDF will likely solve the problem.

Bob

• 4. Re: Please help me to sort out this problem

It's hard to pin this sort of problem down when it it's intermittent like this (you say it works if you do the job a second time). My guess is that it is font-related.

That said, Distiller does not support all of the newer features of the PDF specification. I'm not sure what it's capabilities are for handliing double-byte characters in OTF fonts (It sounds like this is a problem with a ligature, which is outside the regular ascii range).

There are some other threads that discuss the realtive merits of exporting over distilling. Distilled PDF is a very old workflow and it sounds like your client may be working with technology that is more than a little out of date. If that's the case, you may need to make modifications on your end to accomodate their workflow, but I would suggest you try exporting a PDF/X-1a file instead of printing to postscript, and see if that exported file will pass through their system OK.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Please help me to sort out this problem
                  tpk1982 Level 4

Hi Bob and Peter,

Thanks for your answer. I also suggested my client here after we go with export option.

My biggest headache is, i have to make a summary to explain about the mistake to my client. If you have any idea how i  technically answer to my client, that will be help for me.

• 6. Re: Please help me to sort out this problem
                    Gurucbsbo

Hi,

We also faced the same heat on "hn", "io" and "il" in some of the jobs. But we are using CS5 and Mac OS X 10.5. The same "hn" character is replaced by Ÿ. Not in single jobs, We faced the same problem in multiple jobs for the past one and half month.

We initially thought that the problem lied in indesign to postscript conversion in related to fonts, we removed font cache before processing every jobs and the problem seemed to be disappeared. But all of a sudden few days back, we got this replacement in Indesign document itself. The "hn" character appeared as "Ÿ" when we opened an indesign document. We took a screenshot for this one and closed the document, while opening again, we didn't find this issue in the same document.

Been those machines perfectly worked in the past with same version of software since  a year it was installed, all of a sudden since one day it happened regularly. We initiated the zero format in this mac and we reinstall every software freshly and doing test. I shall post if we succeed!

Can anyone have any idea about why this is happening? Can Adobe Expert look into these issues? Thanks in advance for your valuable replies.

• 7. Re: Please help me to sort out this problem
                      tpk1982 Level 4

Hi Gurucbsbo,

Thanks for sharing your problem with my discussion. So now i hope it will come as a regular problem for many users. I think we will get some answers, because i know forum have many adobe experts.

• 8. Re: Please help me to sort out this problem
                        Gurucbsbo Level 1

Welcome! May i know what version of Indesign and Mac OS X are you using with, so us to confirm its not an issue with Indesign CS5 alone. Since, previously we were used CS2…CS5, During the usage of CS5 only we have this issue.

We use MAC OS X 10.5.

• 9. Re: Please help me to sort out this problem
                          tpk1982 Level 4

Hi Gurucbsbo,

I am using indesign CS4 and Mac OS X 10.56.

I just investigate in internet, so far i found some datas. Like, It may be happened with font properties like ligature. As you said is correct, we have to clear the font cache. We also used same print preset but the employee forget to use regular PPD (when the problem occurs), he used another PPD which is available in that machine. May be this also cause some problem.

Anyhow still i am not clear. Hope you can help me.

• 10. Re: Please help me to sort out this problem
                            tpk1982 Level 4

http://americanprinter.com/mag/printing_best_pdfs/

Please refer this, it may give some solution

• 11. Re: Please help me to sort out this problem

If the problem appeared suddenly it may be due to an OS update or a third-party plugin. Do either of you, for example, run a font manager that was recently updated?

• 12. Re: Please help me to sort out this problem
                                tpk1982 Level 4

Hi Peter,

Yes my machine recently installed with 3rd part plugin which used for our workflow. That plugin import images from client site.

• 13. Re: Please help me to sort out this problem

You might want to try disabling that plugin temporarily and see if the type problem goes away. If it does, you'll need to contact the plugin vendor.

• 14. Re: Please help me to sort out this problem
                                    tpk1982 Level 4

Hi Peter,

Actually after i installed the plugin, sofar it does not make any error. But suddenly one day i faced this knid of junk character issue. But i created the same again it comes without error. That is Weird!

Maybe the ligature problem or font cache clearing or wrong PPD usage or...i don't know how to pinpoint this!!

• 15. Re: Please help me to sort out this problem
                                      Gurucbsbo Level 1

@Peter: We only used those macs to make postscript and PDF from ID. It was long ago we upgraded extensis suitcase version to 12.1.6. We don't conclude this upgrade isn't the source of this issue though. But in our case, ID too rendered the characters as junk characters. Sometimes, we tested with loading the fonts in Users/Library/Fonts, But ID rendered wrong characters then too.

So we predicted that the system font cache became malfunctioned, we did clear font cache before every jobs using font nuke, but it too gone in vain.

• 16. Re: Please help me to sort out this problem

I don't use Suitcase so I don't know version numbers, but a recent upgrade to SC Fusion 3 was writing data into link pointers that it shouldn't have been, and Suitcase has a long history, in my opinion, of causing trouble. It may not be the culprit, but it would be worth disabling temporarily for testing.

There is no easy way to pinpoint the cause of trouble that comes and goes like this.

• 17. Re: Please help me to sort out this problem
                                          kjohn73

It seems both parties experiencing the problem are on 10.5.6, no? I suggest updating the OS to 10.5.8.

• 18. Re: Please help me to sort out this problem
                                            Gurucbsbo Level 1

@Peter: It may be the version 14 and higher writing data into link pointer, since FMCore preference is running in System Preference Pane. But, We stick on to lower version, and we have been using it from the past and we didn't have any issue. So, we are using it for the test.

@kjohn: Yep, we are updating with 10.5.8 and testing.

We update with Mac OS X 10.5.8, Indesign CS5 7.0.3 and Suitcase Fusion with 12.1.7 and do testing, if anything turnsout working great, I let you know.

• 19. Re: Please help me to sort out this problem
                                              Gurucbsbo Level 1

Ligature or PPD is not in a way to create this issue we prefer to ruled out this things as a cause. It is inter related to version of fonts, indesign and OS. So, upgrading to the latest unbugged version would workout for us!

• 20. Re: Please help me to sort out this problem

Current version of CS5 is 7.0.4....

As I think I said, I don't use Suitcase, but I seem to recall plenty of problem reports with CS5 and versions earlier than Fusion 3.

• 21. Re: Please help me to sort out this problem
                                                  Mattwbrt Level 1

Hello,

We have been having similar Issues as above.

We are getting font character "Glyphs replacing other characters"

Specs of the machines

Mac OsX=10.5.8

ID version=ID-CS5 ver 7.0.3

Acrobat Distiller version = 8.0

Suitcase version=12.1.7 (We do not use suitcase anymore thinking this was the issue, we place the fonts into the Indesign CS5 font folder)

Fonts we have had this issue with

Sabon LT Std.

Garamond MT Regular

Fairfield LT STD

TimesLT Std

Palatino LT Std

Minion Pro Regular

Verdana Italic

Times New Roman PS

Characters that have been causing the issues.

io, il, hn, SY

The characters they are replaced with.

Ú Ÿ Õ Š §

We run font cache cleaners such as Font Nuke, Font smasher and we even created our own from information found in other places where all the font cache's hide as well as suitcase's.

We tend to catch this issue in out PDF files we are actually but it does show up in the Indesign file, but you can close indesign and then reopen it and the issue is gone.

This lead us to believing it was a system font cache issue.

We process many jobs on a given day via 3 different machines that are setup to create PDF files.

We have a Process in place that before every job we clean the font cache and restart the machine.  Now I do not know if people are following this procedure all the time but we do have this issue appear like every 3 weeks when we get more work going thru the workflows.

I am looking for other Solutions to what this could be, would upgrading to cs5.5 help solve this issue? Could it be Indesigns Preference file getting bashed as well?  How can I better search for these characters.

We have been finding new characters it has replaced so its not always the same characters one time it was

joŸ =john

joÚ =john this was the latest.

junk_characters.jpg

Thank you for any responses.

Matt

• 22. Re: Please help me to sort out this problem
                                                    FergyMac Level 3

Is this happening after you have collected the file for output? If so, try deleting the file AdobeFnt13.lst in your Document Fonts folder and retry. I too was having font replacment issues and deleting this file solved my problem.

• 23. Re: Please help me to sort out this problem
                                                      Mattwbrt Level 1

This is one of the Font cache's we clear before we punch we work on the job.

This happens when we open the job. We do not collect for output on a Job.

We have self contained jobs already designed from the start of our work flow for easy collection

We have a "core" working folder then inside that we have the following  exampel of our managment

Client_number <Top folder

Job_number < 1st level folder

job_number_core <2nd level folder

job_number_application < Application folder Indesign, Quark etc..

job_number_fonts < all fonts used for the job

job_number_art < all active art for the job

We copy the font folder to the indesign cs5 font folder where the AbobeFnt13.ist after we clear the font cache and restart the machine.

So the AdobeFnt13.ist should be clean 0 cache info in it.

Now it is possible an operator is not following this procedure and the AdobeFnt12.ist gets corrupt.

• 24. Re: Please help me to sort out this problem
                                                        kjohn73 Level 1

Since first posting in this thread a few months ago to simply update the OS I've since heard from others (one teacher and one student/intern) who have seen this issue as well, and apparently CS5.5 doesn't resolve it. Personally, though, I still haven't experienced the problem on my iMac.