11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2011 5:20 AM by Peter Spier

Adobe Jensen Pro from CS2 to CS5

ernesto18

In Indesign CS2 one of the fonts was Adobe Jensen Pro, which I liked. Now in CS5 it seems not to be one of the Adobe fonts provided by the software. Can one transfer the font Adobe Jensen Pro from CS2 (running in a Windows machine) to CS5 (running on a Mac)? And if so, how?

Many thanks for any help

• 1. Re: Adobe Jensen Pro from CS2 to CS5
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sure, just copy the font file and install it. OTF fonts are cross platform, and as far as I know the fonts you received with the suite are covered by the regular font license, which allows you to install on upt to 5 machines at one location.

• 2. Re: Adobe Jensen Pro from CS2 to CS5
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I think that‘s incorrect but I won’t swear to it. The fonts are covered under the same license as the suite which would allow only two machines which each in use only one at a time by the same individual.

Bob

• 3. Re: Adobe Jensen Pro from CS2 to CS5
              Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

If you licensed CS2, you are permitted to continue using the fonts that were bundled with CS2 on the same systems you were licensed on with CS2 and or subsequently upgraded to a newer CS version. You cannot install them elsewhere.

And the fonts bundled with the Creative Suite absolutely are not subject to the same license as fonts independently licensed in terms of number os systems on which they may be installed. They may only be installed on the system(s) on which the Creative Suite was installed!

- Dov

• 4. Re: Adobe Jensen Pro from CS2 to CS5
                TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

... and the drill I bought can only be used in one room in the house,

for personal use only. I cannot use it in a professional capacity to

make money without buying the professional model, which is identical to

the original model. Additionally, I cannot lend the drill to a friend

without filling up any holes I made with the original drill and signing

the appropriate paperwork. A five-room drill license is also available.

Finally, packaging the drill is only allowed if the people at the

destination address already own an identical model of that drill.

Sheesh...:-(

Money, money, money...

• 5. Re: Adobe Jensen Pro from CS2 to CS5

Dov said :

If you licensed CS2, you are permitted to continue using the fonts that were

bundled with CS2 on the same systems you were licensed on with CS2 and or

subsequently upgraded to a newer CS version. You cannot install them

elsewhere.

And the fonts bundled with the Creative Suite absolutely are not subject to

the same license as fonts independently licensed in terms of number os

systems on which they may be installed. They may only be installed on the

system(s) on which the Creative Suite was installed!

I stand corrected.

• 7. Re: Adobe Jensen Pro from CS2 to CS5
                    ernesto18 Level 1

Many thanks for all the answers.

When I first saw Peter Spier's answer, I thought that everything would be easy (I only needed to learn how to copy and install the font, which I still don't know how to do...). But it seems that there are licensing issues here, and I don't want to do anything ilegal!

Let's see if I can add a bit more information. First, I have paid for the licenses for both versions, they are legally mine. I upgraded form CS2 (Windows XP version) to CS5 (Mac version). And I am running Windows XP (where Indesign CS2 is loaded) on the same  iMac that has Indesign CS5 on (I use Boot Camp to do that). Because it is BootCamp, I can only use one of the Indesign versions at a time. So the two licensed versions of Indesign are in the same computer, albeit under different operating systems. How does that affect the license issues?

Many thanks again

• 8. Re: Adobe Jensen Pro from CS2 to CS5

Even to run the same version of the product on two platforms under Boot Camp (or any other method) you are required to have separate licenses for each platform.

• 9. Re: Adobe Jensen Pro from CS2 to CS5
                        ernesto18 Level 1

Well, now it is clear. Even though the work I do is non-commercial (I don't think that anyone is going to buy the film rights of the history of my family...), the license I signed is binding. So I will have to go on using Garamond Pro (because Jenson Pro on its own costs over 200 pounds!).

Many thanks to all that replied, I certainly have learnt quite a few things since posting what I thought was an innocent "how to" question.

• 10. Re: Adobe Jensen Pro from CS2 to CS5
                          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why? You're allowed to install on 2 computers?

• 11. Re: Adobe Jensen Pro from CS2 to CS5

Arïel wrote:

Why? You're allowed to install on 2 computers?

I think you may have missed that one is Windows and one is Mac.