• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Next / Previous Keyframe Keyboard Shortcut ????

Sep 18, 2011 Sep 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Searching for info on a keyboard shortcut for navagating between the layer keyframes .. such as position, scale, rotation, etc ..

It is way too tedious to click on the little triangle and back to editing.

Tried to search the Forums and found nothing.

No custom options either.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

See "Time navigation (keyboard shortcuts)".

Rather than searchng the forum for things like that, I recommend searching the Help document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See "Time navigation (keyboard shortcuts)".

Rather than searchng the forum for things like that, I recommend searching the Help document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J and K keys, but the keyframes have to be visible. These keys also move to the next marker or the next in or out point for a layer. Escentially you are moving between events in the timeline, but only visible events. The rest of the shortcuts are in the links Todd posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd_Kopriva your answer was not helpful. The help system is garbage. I found the correct answer on this page: Setting, selecting, and deleting keyframes in After Effects, but it is buried so far in you would never know that was the answer you needed unless you knew the answer in the first place.

Thank you, Rick Gerard​!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's help system is garbage indeed.  For company with so many applications to have a unified help system is, for lack of a better word, stupid.  And it doesn't help that such a stupid idea is so clumsily executed.

There are reference guides though which Adobe apparently doesn't want people using.

here is the After Effects reference guide https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/after_effects_reference.pdf

It's a bookmarked, hyperlinked, easily searchable PDF document.

As for keyboard shortcuts you can also always open the keyboard shortcut editor and search there.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Command + right/left arrow on Mac.

For Windows change the Command with Control I suppose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Command + right/left arrow on Mac.

these are for next frame, not next keyframe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helped me. Its for next and previous frame. Thanks anyways

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I for one am glad to have found this question in the forums rather then having to dig through a help file!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The direct answer is quite better, actually.  🙂 Maybe because the google search is better navigator than any help logic 😞

Please people we are not in the 90s anymore. Everything is on the internet these days.

As long as the application is not a simple one (let's say with four buttons/functions and one page help) this is the better way to find answers.

Ergo I find your answer rude mr. @Todd_Kopriva. Especially having in mind you are representing Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's worse, the help documentation doesn't work.  I edited my keyboard short cuts for "select next keyframe" and "select previous keyframe", but using them does nothing.

Anyone with a working solution on how to select a clip in the timeline, and jump to keyframes?  The Effect Controls UI isn't showing a keyframe but I can see the effect in the animation and I wanted a way to directly go to it so I can edit it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay the keyboard short cut only works when you select the Effects Control Panel.  Please provide this infor in the Keyboard Shortcut Editor, and tell me if the new shortcut I'm assigning is replacing an existing one.  Please fix your software Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having the same problem. I want to be selected in the Program window and go back and forth between keyframes but I can't unless I'm selected in the Effect Controls panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines