8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2011 6:16 PM by the_wine_snob

No Sound

hurricaneheatherinVictori Level 1

When I import my video feed into Premiere and go through the final steps into making it an FLV, it does not playback sound. I thought when I imported the video feed, the system brings all elements into Premiere. Is there something more I should be doing in order to bring in the sound of the recorded video?

• 1. Re: No Sound
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>import my video feed

Please provide step-by-step information about what you are doing, the camera you have connected to Firewire, and your project settings

• 2. Re: No Sound

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply. I connect my camcorder which is a Insignia

NS-DV720pBL2 via a USB cable. I go through the process of importing my

video into Premiere. I am still trying to cut the first 17 seconds.

Someone sent me directions to try so I will try that but as I go through

the process of getting it ready to share via (export files for viewing

on computers) and it goes through the process of rendering the video and

makes it into a .flv file well the sound doesn't play. Yet, I can take

the unedited version and load it up to Youtube and it plays sound. I've

been trying to find additional training with Premiere and I am somewhat

hesitate to go to lynda.com because I haven't had success with Adobe's

tutorials. I am by no means, someone who is technical savvy at this.

Although, at some point, I'd like to become good at it, whether I do it

as a hobby or become self-employed. I am definitely not there yet. Where

should I start?

Heather McCaw

• 3. Re: No Sound

Hi John,

These are my project settings:

General

Editing Mode: AVCHD 720p square pixel (grayed out)

Timebase: 29.97 (grayed out)

Frame Size 1280 Horizontal (grayed out)

Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square (1.0) (grayed out)

Display format: 30fps Drop-frame Timecode

Title Safe Area 20 %horizontal 20 % vertical (not specified)

Action Safe Area 10 %horizontal 10 % vertical (not specified)

Audio Rate: 48000 Hz

Display Format: Audio Samples

Capture:

Capture Format HDV

Video Render

Previews

I-Frame only MPEG

Compressor MPEG I-Frame

Optimize Stills has a check mark by it.

Heather

• 4. Re: No Sound

To start, you have a mismatch that is causing problems in your project

Editing Mode: AVCHD

Capture Format HDV

You need to use one of these to find out exactly what kind of file you have, and then start a project with the correct settings

For PC http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ or http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

For Mac http://mediainfo.massanti.com/

Once you know exactly what it is you are editing, report back with that information... and your project setting, and if there is a red line above the video in the timeline, which indicates a mismatch between video and project

You should also read in your camera manual to find out what it produces... the codec it uses and all of the file's parameters

• 5. Re: No Sound

John,

I've got my manual and it says Video Format: HD (1280 x 720p, 30fps. It

can be switched to SD 640x 480p, 30fps and it says: Sounds: On. When

sounds are turned on a sound played each time key function is accessed.

Like I said, I was able to upload my video to Youtube with sound, but

when I import the recorded footage into Premiere, the sound is gone. The

sound from the recorded video doesn't seem to transfer over. I was

trying to follow instructions in the Adobe Premiere Elements 9

"Classroom in a Book" as to settings. I have been trying and trying.

I've been sending emails and calling places trying to find the answer to

this issue but with no results. I am caught in a loop.

unedited version: http://youtu.be/FVbF1gomjPA

edited version using Premiere: http://youtu.be/9M5CSSNi5Kw

You will see there is no sound in the edited version uploaded to Youtube.

Heather McCaw

• 6. Re: No Sound

>Video Format: HD (1280 x 720p, 30fps. It  can be switched to SD 640x 480p, 30fps

That only says you may have SD or HD video... it does not provide the CODEC

Go back to my previous reply and use one of the programs to find out your file details and report back

• 7. Re: No Sound

Hi Craig,

You are right when you say "the first bit getting started is a pain".

Thank you for your reply, I am really trying to learn video editing now

that I have a camcorder, tripod and video editing program. If I could

get good at this, I would like to get my own business running doing

videos for people--whatever their video needs are, i.e. wedding,

documentary or music video (if I am lucky). I realize it's going to take

some time to master this as I am already running into hurdles. I googled

the subject online and found this group:

http://victoriavideoclub.tripod.com/

I contacted the group and received an email from David but it seems they

hold their meetings in Nanamio. The cost to join is $35 which is really

reasonable and I would be networking and learning from other

videographers. The problem is, their meetings seem to be on the day I am

working. I guess I just to find a way that I can manage attending, maybe

get work to book me off on that day.

I just received a reply from John from Adobe.com who says,

• 8. Re: No Sound
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

For some resources to learn PrE, this LIST of links might prove useful.

Good luck,

Hunt