Can you please try and do the following steps:
1. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0
2. Initiate a repair from the Add/Remove Programs from within the Control Panel.
Hopefully this should fix the corrupted file.
I did try the folder remove then reinstall / repair that did not solve the error, thanks for trying.
Thanks for trying out the suggestion.
Since, you mentioned that the issue is not reproducible when you switch to another account, could you try one more thing.
1. Open Start > Run
2. Type "%temp%"
3. In the folder that appears, delete the following files: AdobeARM.log, AdobeARM_NotLocked.log, ARMUI.ini
4. Try initiating an update transaction again from within Reader by clicking on Help > Check For Updates
Hope this works.
Message was edited by: Ankit_Jain
wow that worked it couldn't find ARMUI.ini it seems it didn't need to delete that one. I used a command prompt and typed in those file names and deleted them.I don't run into a lot of troubleshooting computer problems these days it is releaving when problems are solved though thank you.