3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2011 5:57 AM by John Hawkinson

Excel to InDesign Merging?

neil451

Hi Everyone,

I don't know if I am posting this in the right area, but I just thought it might be a scripting solution it needs.

I have been asked to design a property catalog for various properties up and down the country. I have been doing this manually, placing the images into a table layout, adding the description, price, area, etc underneath each image. These images are about 50mm by 50mm. If you think of autotrader for cars, similar to that.

My problem now is that it has now taken off and I have over 500 properties that need to be inputted. I have the information in an excel spreadsheet and I was wondering is there a way of automating the data from excel into InDesign so that I don't have to keep manually typing everything in? I have looked at datamerge, but it seems very restrictive. Is there a plug-in or script I could use?

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks

Neil45156

• 1. Re: Excel to InDesign Merging?
          Haakenlid Level 3

This is certainly something that you can do with a script. But since there are lots of ways of designing a catalogue, I don't think there is a ready made script or plugin that will suit everyone's needs. For a job like this I would write a custom script. Like with datamerge, the simplest way to read an Exel spreadsheet with a script is by saving it as a .csv-file.

• 2. Re: Excel to InDesign Merging?
            Harbs. Level 6

There are a number of catalog plugins out there.

Em Software, 65bit and Woodwing all have products for this.

Harbs

• 3. Re: Excel to InDesign Merging?
              John Hawkinson Level 5

My problem now is that it has now taken off and I have over 500 properties that need to be inputted. I have the information in an excel spreadsheet and I was wondering is there a way of automating the data from excel into InDesign so that I don't have to keep manually typing everything in? I have looked at datamerge, but it seems very restrictive.

Since scripts can do almost anything, your question is very underspecified. Why not tell us exactly what restrictions of Data Merge bother you?