5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2011 8:56 AM by Jim Wiley

Stage Frame Rate

Jim Wiley

Hi All,

I am trying to detect the AS2 stages frame rate w/o timers.

My FlashAsset for Authorware and Director can detect it using #frameRate from the outside of the SWF.

Does anyone know a undocumented command or how to address the stage as the MovieClip?

I cannot use Timers, etc. to accomplish this do to programming restrictions of an old Flash Asset one of the two platforms I am using requires.

Thanks,

Jim

• 1. Re: Stage Frame Rate
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

the Stage is not a movieclip so no, you can't address the stage as a movieclip.

• 2. Re: Stage Frame Rate
            Rothrock Level 5

What is the actual thing you are trying to do? You've posted a lot about this way or that way to attack the problem, but I can't figure out what the actual problem is.

Also it would really help if you would let us know which version of Flash authoring tool you are using. And which version of the plug-in you are publishing for. And exactly which version of Authorware and/or Director you are using.

There is probably some way to do what you need, but I don't think any of us know what that need really is.

• 3. Re: Stage Frame Rate
              Jim Wiley Level 1

Thanks for reading.

Just trying to create common code for others to rework old FLA's with CS5.

I have components that need to know the stage frame rate.

My old applications that use the SWF's are locked about 7-8 years ago and the Flash SWF output they supported at that time.

The movies have different frame rates that need to be adjusted by newbie's.

I had timers that no longer work because the commands are deprecated now. I had to go old scholl - timleine based timing.

I wanted to use single pieces of code and components for a given common task.

Thanks again,

Jim

• 4. Re: Stage Frame Rate
                Rothrock Level 5

Okay. So you are trying to rework old FLAs using the (relatively up to date) CS5. When they open the FLA, won't they be able to see the frame rate?

You have components that need to know the stage frame rate. I'm guessing they are the Authorware/Director components? I thought that could get the framerate using #frameRate?

Or are they Flash components?

Either way, what do they need to do with the frame rate onece they get it?

You had timers that worked? Can you show the code that worked? What did those timers do? I find it really strange to think that you have Flash timers that worked in some version of the Flash plugin, but that have stopped working in that same plug in. In all my time with Flash I have not seen anything retroactively deprecated. By that I mean that something that worked in Flash 5 player has stopped working in Flash 5 player.

And (from our other thread) getTimer() is Flash 4, so if it has stopped working then you are really going to be in trouble and there is almost no code that will work. It really would seem that

Are you somehow mixing AS3 and/or AS2 swfs (that might be targeted to different players)? I've seen where swfs published for different versions and then loaded into each other can't access some common global objects.

Also an AS3 player can load in an AS2/1 swf as an AVM1 type object, but the communication between them is quite limited. Here is the information about what a "parent"/"hosting" AS3 swf can do with an AVM1 movie:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/flash/display/AVM1Movie .html

• 5. Re: Stage Frame Rate
                  Jim Wiley Level 1

Hi Rothrock,

I had movies that work or will work if I step back the versions of Flash and process them with MX 2004 or CS1. They still process the timers, onEnterFrame, etc..

So I went old school and use an empty looping movie clip to act as a counter for the main movies.

Not mixing AS3 and AS2.

Thanks for the link. Food for thought when using my new platform with old SWF's.

Jim