20 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2011 9:36 AM by Harbs.

Newbie - Need help for making object selections in InDesign CS2

Jeff.Cleveland

I am an old PageMaker user and am having difficulty getting indd to make multiple object selections.  Is there someone out there who would be willing to do a private discussion so that I can make progress?  So far, I have been unable to select multiple objects to copy or move.  I do not understand how indd works.

Thanks for any assistance

• 1. Re: Newbie - Need help for making object selections in InDesign CS2
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What seems to be the problem? Did the hints in your other thread not help?

• 2. Re: Newbie - Need help for making object selections in InDesign CS2
            Jeff.Cleveland Level 1

Peter,

I could not select multiple objects.  It is probably because I do not understand how to do it.  I was hoping that I could get a selection box like PageMaker to select only those objects contained entirely in the box.  Control or Alt with either of the selection arrows do not seem to do anything.  I really need a tutorial on selection but I cannot find anything in indd Help or "Classroom in a Book" from Adobe.

I have not been able to find anyone at my college that has experience wit indd.

I appreciate any assistance that you can give me.

Jeff Cleveland

• 3. Re: Newbie - Need help for making object selections in InDesign CS2
              Michael Gianino Level 4

I first used PageMaker after having used Quark for many years, and for me, I had to get used to the fact that dragging a marquee around a portion of an object wouldn't select it unless the marquee surrounded the entire object. InDesign works the way Quark does, in that an object will be selected if any portion of that object falls within the marquee. If you are asking how to modify InDesign to act the way PageMaker did, maybe there's a way, but I don't know of it. Is that your question?

• 4. Re: Newbie - Need help for making object selections in InDesign CS2
                Steve Fairbairn Level 5

Hold down Shift as you make your second (and third ...) selection with the marquee (V).

Shift means basically "and". Same as in Illustrator and many other apps.

Is that your question?

• 5. Re: Newbie - Need help for making object selections in InDesign CS2

There are basically two ways to select multiple objects, as explained above. Either "marquee" using the selection tool (black arrow) by holding down the mouse button as you drag throught them (same as Pagemaker, except everything you touch will be selected rather than having to completely surround it), or to hold Shift as you click multiple objects, also the same as Pagemaker.

If this isn't working for you, there may be something else happening. First, are you using the Selection tool? The white arrow is the Direct Selection tool which is used to select the content of a frame, the frame path for editing, or any node on any other path for editing. The only time the Direct Select tool will select an entire object is if it is part of a group.

Next, is the object locked in some way? Pehaps the entire layer is locked, or the object is locked individually. I find it easiest to identify locked objects by opeing the Layers panel in CS5 or CS5.5, it's less easy in earlier versions which don't have the expanded Illustrator-style layers panel. In earlier versions, though, you should be able to select an individually locked object, but not one on a locked layer, though you will not be able to move it. In CS5/5.5 there is a preference for whether you can select locked objects, and it is off by default, which in my opinion is a poor choice if you work with legacy files or templates where things are locked to prevent shifting.

Perhaps these unselectable objects are on a master page. Since CS4 objects on a master page have displayed a dotted edge when frame edges are showing. It's possiple to confuse this with the slightly heavier dashed line used to denote the bounding box of a group until you get used to it. Unlike Pagemaker, if you need to select a master object, it can be overridden onto the document page by holding Cmd (Ctrl) + Shift and clciking on it.

The last possibility is there is actually something wrong with your installation of ID. If you run Windows 7 or Vista it could be a problem with large fonts (see http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403039.html). Otherwise it's most likely corrupt preferences and you should read Replace Your Preferences

It would help us help you if you tell us your OS and the version of ID you are using.

• 6. Re: Newbie - Need help for making object selections in InDesign CS2
                    Jeff.Cleveland Level 1

I am just having trouble getting selection to work at all.  I cannot get a marquee.  When I click anywhere my big box around the whole document gets selected.  Sending it to back does not get it un-selected.  I cannot find any aids to tell me how selection works - maybe there is something in Help that I am missing.

The whole problem boils down to - How do I limit what is selected?  I may be in some mode that is keeping selection from working the way you all are describing.

Again, thanks for the assistance.

Jeff Cleveland

• 7. Re: Newbie - Need help for making object selections in InDesign CS2
                      Haakenlid Level 3

Jeff.Cleveland wrote:

I am just having trouble getting selection to work at all.  I cannot get a marquee.  When I click anywhere my big box around the whole document gets selected.  Sending it to back does not get it un-selected.  I cannot find any aids to tell me how selection works - maybe there is something in Help that I am missing.

Post a screen shot of this, please. What is "my big box around the whole document"?
                      Have you tried creating a new document and adding some page items?

• 8. Re: Newbie - Need help for making object selections in InDesign CS2

Jeff.Cleveland wrote:

I am just having trouble getting selection to work at all.  I cannot get a marquee.  When I click anywhere my big box around the whole document gets selected.

AHHH! You have some sort of background frame. Either move it onto a master page (if it belongs on many pages) or put it on it's own layer at the bottom of the stack, then lock the layer.

• 9. Re: Newbie - Need help for making object selections in InDesign CS2
                          Jeff.Cleveland Level 1

I will post more details after I return from class late this evening.  As far as software is concerned I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and Creative Suite 2 with all the updates installed.  I did have trouble getting CS2 to install and after support in Adobe suggested that I install to a root directory in C: the problem went away.  The problem was that when I attempted to execute indd, the software asked for my serial number again and said my serial number was not valid.

I apologize for not understanding some of the suggestions.  I have just started using indd and have been a user of PageMaker for many years and a lot of this is very foreign to me.

Is there any way to include the file that I am having difficulty with?  If some of you had it, perhaps that would help.

Jeff Cleveland

• 10. Re: Newbie - Need help for making object selections in InDesign CS2

Jeff.Cleveland wrote:

As far as software is concerned I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and Creative Suite 2 with all the updates installed.  I did have trouble getting CS2 to install and after support in Adobe suggested that I install to a root directory in C: the problem went away. 

CS2 isn't really supported on Windows 7. Some people (but not me) have been successful at getting it installed, but there are also numerous reports of odd behavior, so there's no guarantee that it will work exactly as intended.

• 11. Re: Newbie - Need help for making object selections in InDesign CS2

You can use a file sharing sevice like YouSendIt.com to send the file to yourself (you should zip it first), then post the link you will get here and others can download it and take a look. I suspect, though, that either this is a case of "issues" with running CS2 on Win7, or it's just a matter of you spending a bit more time trying to understand the comments above regarding selection.

If you always seem to be selecting a frame surrounding the page, that really sounds like a background that needs to be isolated.

• 12. Re: Newbie - Need help for making object selections in InDesign CS2
                                Jeff.Cleveland Level 1

I have fixed the selection problem.  I do not know what caused the problem but I deleted the rectangle that surrounds most of the page and then installed it again.  Now the selection works like some of you have suggested - If I hold down Shift and click on multiple objects, they will be selected which is what I wanted to do.  I must have done something that caused the rectangle to have some undesired attribute.

Something that I found very useful is Ctrl-H - Show or hide frame edges.

At the end of this, I would still like to have a selection tool like PageMaker that only selects those objects totally contained in the marquee.  This a very fast operation for selecting some objects and not selecting others.  If someone has a suggestion for doing this very quickly for many objects, I surely would like to have the suggestion.

It is interesting that CS2 is not supported on Windows 7.  One would think that the software should warn you when you install it or when you use it.

Is there some place that I can find a list of known issues with CS2?

And one more question, is PageMaker 7 compatible with Windows 7?

Thanks to all.

Jeff Cleveland

• 13. Re: Newbie - Need help for making object selections in InDesign CS2
                                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

PM 7 is most definitely not compatible with Win 7. For more on that pop over to the Pagemaker forum.

Bob

• 14. Re: Newbie - Need help for making object selections in InDesign CS2

Bob Levine wrote:

PM 7 is most definitely not compatible with Win 7. For more on that pop over to the Pagemaker forum.

Bob

Really? I better do that. I have it installed, though I haven't tried using it for anything. Guess I need to make a side trip...

• 15. Re: Newbie - Need help for making object selections in InDesign CS2

Jeff.Cleveland wrote:

I have fixed the selection problem.  I do not know what caused the problem but I deleted the rectangle that surrounds most of the page and then installed it again.  Now the selection works like some of you have suggested - If I hold down Shift and click on multiple objects, they will be selected which is what I wanted to do.  I must have done something that caused the rectangle to have some undesired attribute.

Quite likely you double-clicked in this frame at some point and unintentionally converted it to a text frame. That's a preference item and can be turned off if you find it tripping you up on a regular basis, but it's very convenient as a power user not to have to select the text tool every time you need to edit text.

I mentioned earlier that you should probably isolate the background on its own layer and lock it to make working with other objects a lot easier.

• 16. Re: Newbie - Need help for making object selections in InDesign CS2
                                        BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Peter, you’re lucky and you used a very pristine install of Windows.

No way I’d even attempt to install that ancient piece of software on Windows 7.

Bob

• 17. Re: Newbie - Need help for making object selections in InDesign CS2

What can I say? The disk was in the pile so I threw it in. Seems to run, but as I said, I don't use it for anything.

What I couldn't get installed was ID CS2, even in the XP virtual machine.

• 18. Re: Newbie - Need help for making object selections in InDesign CS2
                                            TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Peter, I've got CS2 premium installed on Win 7 64-bit Ultimate

(alongside CS4) without resorting to XP-mode.

Now that you mention it, I very vaguely recall that there is some "bit

of business" that needs to be done before installing it -- something to

do with forcing it to use the 32-bit program file directory by renaming

something IIRCWIU* -- but it's definitely doable. There's stuff on the

web about it. Works great (I don't use it too much -- mainly for placing

stubborn Word files that crash or otherwise foul up CS4)  -- except for

Acrobat which can manage to install it's printer driver.

Arie

IIRCWIU = If I recall correctly which is unlikely

• 19. Re: Newbie - Need help for making object selections in InDesign CS2

Thanks Ariel. I think this is one of those it works for some people and not for others situations, and I really don't need CS2 for anything anymore, so I'm not going to pursue it -- I'd have to uninstall everything from CS4 to CS5.5 to put it in at this point and it just isn't worth the aggravation I gave it two hours or so the the first time, and that's it for stuff that I keep only for looking at old files.

But I feel like I've hijacked the thread, so let's keep remaining comments on target if we can.

• 20. Re: Newbie - Need help for making object selections in InDesign CS2
                                                Harbs. Level 6

I know someone who recently successfully installed the original InDesign CS (1) in Windows 7. He tells me it works well...

Harbs