8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2011 2:37 AM by HoareLuke

Web Pages and Sizes

HoareLuke

Hi all,

I'm starting making a new site but I'm unsure about what my page sizes schould be. I want me website to be viewed on multiple devices e.g. Desktop, Laptops, Notbooks and also phones (if possiable). Please could some one help me out ASAP as I need to my graphic and all my conent in to the pages andupload and online by the end of the week. If anyone can help me out I will be very greatfull if you require some cash I will be happy to apply and pay a small few for your time.

I also have Skype and MSN if that is a easy way to talk through

Skype - luke-hoare

MSN - luke1hoare@hotmail.com

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Web Pages and Sizes
          mytaxsite.co.uk Level 6

Your best bet is to start with this video first:

<http://www.adobe.com/feature/dreamweaver/native-android-and-ios-apps-with-phonegap.modaldi splay.._s_content_s_dotcom_s_en_s_products_s_dreamweaver.html>

It covers some of the things you need.  You have to accept that there is no such thing as one website that fits all devices.  You will need to create different CSS files and perhaps a js to test the device to load a particular css file.  I am not into iphones and the like so I can't help on this.

hth

• 2. Re: Web Pages and Sizes
            HoareLuke Level 1

Hi there I have just finsihed looking at the video you have sent me, and phones are the last thing I want. I first thing I want is to make sure that the page can be viewed on Desktops, laptops and Notbooks. Could you help me put together some php todo all of that please.

thanks you.

• 3. Re: Web Pages and Sizes
              mytaxsite.co.uk Level 6

I first thing I want is to make sure that the page can be viewed on Desktops, laptops and Notbooks.

Good and that is a very good start.  I always wanted to tell you to get going and stop worrying about other devices for the time being.

What sort of of website you are trying to create?  It could be that you might want to start with WordPress { and Joomla & Drupal } sites that come with all the scripts for you and you also get some really good themes/templates for them free of charge.

I would strongly recommend you to get going with a Wordpress site (http://wordpress.org/ ) and to use this theme <

http://www.designisphilosophy.com/free-wordpress-themes/vidunder>

hth

• 4. Re: Web Pages and Sizes
                HoareLuke Level 1

I don't want to use wordpress. I have got everthing ready all I need todo is get the pages ready so different device can read/see them like I have said I have already got everthing ready e.g. pictures, text. How do I go about that now you use I need php could you help me out with it

• 5. Re: Web Pages and Sizes
                  mytaxsite.co.uk Level 6

HoareLuke wrote:

I don't want to use wordpress. I have got everthing ready all I need todo is get the pages ready so different device can read/see them like I have said I have already got everthing ready e.g. pictures, text. How do I go about that now you use I need php could you help me out with it

To get pages ready all you need to do is to use ready made templates given by Adobe.  They are all loaded on to your system and to access them you should do this:

File >> New

Now select the blank document >> HTML

Follow this picture:

templates.GIF

This is all there is to it.  You do need to define a site first so that all your links work.  I suggest follow this tutorial:

<http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/first_website_pt1.html>

Don't get bogged down about screen size and all that nonsense because what you need is something people can see and which can be adjusted to suit your needs if it is not working.  Changing things is simple but creating from scratch is the most difficult part.

hth

• 6. Re: Web Pages and Sizes
                    HoareLuke Level 1

(Don't get bogged down about screen size and all that nonsense because what you need is something people can see and which can be adjusted to suit your needs if it is not working.  Changing things is simple but creating from scratch is the most difficult part.)

You say all of that^ but if someone went to my site on a notebook they want be able to see my site they will have to scrol left - right to see the whole site.

• 7. Re: Web Pages and Sizes
                      mytaxsite.co.uk Level 6

You say all of that^ but if someone went to my site on a notebook they want be able to see my site they will have to scrol left - right to see the whole site.

No this is completely wrong.  I have given you template ideas to use and it should adjust automatically depending on what size it is.  Why are you so fussy about this?.  JUST GET ON WITH THE WORK AND START DESIGNING YOUR FIRST SITE.  You are spending more time worrying about stupid things and doing very little to get any thing done.

Have you done a sketch of your plan?

• 8. Re: Web Pages and Sizes
                        HoareLuke Level 1

Yes I do have a plan and i have already got all my content ready. All i want todo is make sure that the page can be viewed on different devices/.