9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2011 2:09 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Render Issues on 12-Core "Westmere", 32gb RAM Mac Pro

editBayResident

I just got this machine to make large video files (up to 7000x5000) and I get these error messages that I have attached.  I have turned on the multiproccessor but have only enabled 12 cpus of the available 24.  Is this the right way to set it up?  I'm guessing not since After Effects won't export my stuff.Screen Shot 2011-09-19 at 3.44.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2011-09-19 at 4.29.48 PM.png

Here is a look at multiproccesor prefs.

Screen Shot 2011-09-19 at 4.44.17 PM.png

• 1. Re: Render Issues on 12-Core "Westmere", 32gb RAM Mac Pro
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

First, turn Render Mutliple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing off. If After Effects is telling you that a single rendering process doesn't have enough memory to render a frame, then you certainly don't want to exacerbate the problem by trying to force multiple rendering processes to process multiple frame at once. 

After you've turned Render Mutliple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing off, try again and write back if you still get the error message.

• 2. Re: Render Issues on 12-Core "Westmere", 32gb RAM Mac Pro
            editBayResident Level 1

Thank you, Todd, for the reply.

I am away from my desk right now, but I can tell you that I have tried with the multi-processor turned off and it doesn't work for what i need either.

Very simple animations will export (static background and text animating into the composition).  But any type of camera move on a composition and even other not so complicated animations kill the export and recited the frame buffer error on export.  What is at the root of this error frame buffer error? RAM, even though 32 should be ample?

This machine flies (as it should) working on traditional 1920 x 1080 projects.  Even exporting compositions that are 4098x768 have no problem.  I cannot seem to crack this case and your help is greatly appreciated.

• 3. Re: Render Issues on 12-Core "Westmere", 32gb RAM Mac Pro
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> What is at the root of this error frame buffer error? RAM, even though 32 should be ample?

The issue is not how much RAM is installed but how much RAM is available for this specific part of the rendering operation.

I'll have a look at this tomorrow morning. It's late evening here and I need to get home.

In the meantime, figure out what is requiring so much RAM at this specific point and see if you can't decrease the requirement. The error message is telling you that you're pretty close to making it under the wire.

See this page for information about what adds to memory requirements for rendering.

• 4. Re: Render Issues on 12-Core "Westmere", 32gb RAM Mac Pro
                editBayResident Level 1

I will be doing more investigation in the morning.  I can tell you that I'm not using any video footage at the moment only text with drop shadow and large photoshop files.  The main composition is broken up into multiple minature compositions so that they can be pieced back together on multiple monitors arranged together.

The large comp is the pre-composition to the smaller comps.  Kind of backwards.  I will first try by collapsing pre-comps because I do have quite a few.

Will keep at it.  Thank you Todd.

• 5. Re: Render Issues on 12-Core "Westmere", 32gb RAM Mac Pro
                  editBayResident Level 1

Todd-

I have been working on this issue this morning and can tell you a few more things:

I read about memory requirements for rendering and tried to reduce those things bogging down the render.  To that extent, the composition will export when there is no movement and everything is static. Once I apply two key frames to text, it will give the image buffer errors.  I am currently doing this with multiprocessor off, I have taken off drop shadows, etc.  AE is not exporting the simplest of animations with this frame size.

If possible I would like to talk to you over the phone since you seem to know quite a bit about the issue or if you are not available, someone else at Adobe.  Please advise.

• 6. Re: Render Issues on 12-Core "Westmere", 32gb RAM Mac Pro
                    TheFosterHouse Level 1

…I just got this machine to make large video files (up to 7000x5000)…

7K x 5K? I think that's your problem. I have the same decked out machine, and I can have issues with rendering 3-4k footage. Does it really need to be that huge?

Just to test…Can you render out the comp lower res? in your render settings, set it to half resolution and see if it renders. if it doesn't, keep lowering the resolution untill it does.

You may want to see if pre-rendering the smaller comps might help.

Not sure if it'll work, but something else to try would be to render quadrants of the larger comp. then see if you can stitch them in a larger comp. Create a Comp that is 3500 x 2500 and place your 7k x 5k comp in it. Position the 7k comp to render the top left & render. Then render the upper right, lower left and lower right. Then see if you can render the

• 7. Re: Render Issues on 12-Core "Westmere", 32gb RAM Mac Pro
                      editBayResident Level 1

Yes I do need it that big so that it can be broken out into smaller pieces.

I have the 'master' comp that is 6830x4608.  It then needs to be broken up for output on multiple monitors that are arranged together.  So I have smaller compositions (1366x768) that hold the "master" precomposed comp at full size positioned exactly where it needs to be for the specific output.  After running multiple tests (different settings, aspect ratios, etc.) nothing seems to work and the issue does in fact seem to point to the size of the main composition being too much of a hindrance for After Effects.

Thank you for your help.  Any feedback on this issue is greatly appreciated!

• 8. Re: Render Issues on 12-Core "Westmere", 32gb RAM Mac Pro
                        TimeRemapper Level 4

Do you have OpenGL disabled? If not, try disabling it. Is the render failing on the first frame, or does it get a few frames in before giving you those errors? If it gets a few frames in, you could try setting the cache to be purged every frame by accessing the secret preferences (hold down "shift" while accessing the general preferences), enabling "Disable Layer Cache", and setting the Purge value to "1", or however long you think you can make it before running into memory issues.

• 9. Re: Render Issues on 12-Core "Westmere", 32gb RAM Mac Pro
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

OK, I'm back and can spend some time looking into this.

- Make sure that you've sized your still images (in Photoshop or whatever) to the size that you actually need within After Effects.

- Have you prerendered all of your nested compositions that you can possibly prerender?

- What's your project's color bit depth? If it's 32bpc, set it to 16bpc or 8bpc and try again.

If you can upload your project somewhere where I can grab it, I can download it and poke at it myself---though I probably wouldn't get to it until tomorrow.