9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2011 8:25 AM by Harm Millaard

New Panasonic Cam vs EX1R + Editing in CS5.5

lupaie Level 1

Hi,

I was about to invest in a Sony EX1R. I talked to Sony at IBC2011 and there was not a too big difference between the EX1R and the NX5E. Biggest differences were 1/2" vs 1/3" lens and the codecs. I wanted to choose the EX1R because I have to film sports, also indoor without having the ability to set up lights before every shot..Talked to Adobe and XDCAM should work in CS5.5 without problems.

Just now, I received a link to this new Panasonic Camera. I am not that technical, but can you guys see what the main differences are? Would you prefer this Panasonic to the EX1R?

I also understand that P2 should be more forgiving to the editing suite, better to uncode codec??

Anyway...your input is welcome!

AG-HPX250PJ

https://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=1120 1&catalogId=13051&itemId=558651&catGroupId=34401&surfModel=AG-HPX250PJ

• 1. Re: New Panasonic Cam vs EX1R + Editing in CS5.5
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The advantage of the 250 is its 10 bit 4:2:2 colorspace and the intraframe codec. It takes more diskspace than XDCAM EX, but is even easier on the CPU. Optically the 250 has a better zoom range and a better wideangle, but it uses 1/3" sensors, where the XDCAM uses 1/2" sensors, which means better low light and better DOF.

If you use chroma key regularly, then my preference would be the 250, otherwise it is a difficult choice. To make it even harder on you, also have a look at the Canon XF-300 or 305. Great optics and the same 4:2:2 colorspace but using MPEG2 at 50 Mbps. The biggest advantage of the Canon over both Panny and Sony is the use of cheap CF cards.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New Panasonic Cam vs EX1R + Editing in CS5.5
            lupaie Level 1

Thanks, indeed you made the choice even harder. But I only have around 6000 euro to spend with a little buffer. The Canon is just a bit too expensive. Great anwsers about the Panny and Sony. I'll go check them both out at a dealer.

• 3. Re: New Panasonic Cam vs EX1R + Editing in CS5.5
              Harm Millaard Level 7

I just bought the XF-300 for less than € 6000, including transport, insurance, import duties and VAT from http://www.globalmediapro.com/dp/A00U96/Canon-XF300-HD-Camcorder-PAL/

You can read my own review there and in addition you have to realize that the Canon has been 'Gold-certified' by the BBC, something the Sony is not. The BBC has recently ordered 330 of these cameras, so that was additional consideration for me.

• 4. Re: New Panasonic Cam vs EX1R + Editing in CS5.5
                lupaie Level 1

Harm, really great link. But, I believe that you are Dutch...can I call you quicken the dicision process? I have some specific questions. (paianomario@gmail.com)

• 5. Re: New Panasonic Cam vs EX1R + Editing in CS5.5
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Sent you my phone number.

• 6. Re: New Panasonic Cam vs EX1R + Editing in CS5.5
                    lupaie Level 1

Hi Harm, really helpfull anwsers, as always! Thanks for your time!

• 7. Re: New Panasonic Cam vs EX1R + Editing in CS5.5
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

For people reading this thread, there is another consideration, the cost of the CF cards in the Canon versus the cost of the P2 cards in the Panny. At this moment a 32 GB CF card for the Canon, that records 82 minutes at the highest quality is around € 110, where a 64 GB P2 card that records 64 minutes is around € 700 and these additional costs quickly offset the small difference in camera purchase price.

• 8. Re: New Panasonic Cam vs EX1R + Editing in CS5.5
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

Another consideration is that I've actually watched a CF card come apart coming out of a camera--completely split in half along the edge. All footage lost.

I ran a P2 card through the washing machine... oops. Still works today. To me, that reliability is worth it.

This part is hearsay, but from what I've read, Premiere Pro has some issues properly spanning long takes from the Canon XF series. I believe another forum denizen, Roger Averdahl, can attest to this. Harm, have you encountered any issues like that? I've considered one of the 100 series for a B-camera, but it would be used for long takes (events, etc.) and busted spanned takes are unacceptable.

• 9. Re: New Panasonic Cam vs EX1R + Editing in CS5.5
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Another consideration is that I've actually watched a CF card come apart coming out of a camera--completely split in half along the edge. All footage lost.

I ran a P2 card through the washing machine... oops. Still works today. To me, that reliability is worth it.

Colin, I haven't tried the washing machine procedure yet on a CF card, nor do I intend to, but I expect that even CF cards would withstand that malhandling, since there is no electrical connection at all. Only proper drying is required.

What camera did the CF card come from and what brand and model was it? The CF cards for the Canon that are advised, are the Sandisk Extreme or Extreme Pro models, that fully support over- and undercranking, in contrast to Kingston or Transcend.

I haven't yet tried spanning shots over different cards. I have only once encountered a situation where I needed more than 60 minutes for a single shot, but that was in a multi-camera shoot so no real problem and that was with a HDV camera. So I can't answer this question for you. Have you contacted Roger on this issue?