28 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2011 3:25 PM by Bob Dix Photographer

Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)

stihlchainsaw Level 1

New features listed at http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere-elements/features.html .  

We can now burn HD quality movies to DVD discs using standard burners and export in AVCHD format.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

For a detailed discussion of the new features and a link to my personal review of the product, see http://forums.adobe.com/thread/904360

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)
            A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

I am very interested in the new features for Premiere Elements 10, announced today by Adobe. However, from the sounds of it, Premiere Elements 10 is still not a 64 bit application, but rather one that supports 64 bit....big difference, with the former going to physical memory RAM and the latter going to a virtual memory perk. Adobe went this "support 64 bit" route for Premiere Pro CS4 before it went all the way for an actual 64 bit application for Premiere Pro CS5.

Do you read that the same way.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)

The program is now three separate installations -- a 32-bit Windows, a Mac OSX or a 64-bit Windows 7 version. So I assume that means that the 64-bit version is fully 64-bit. It definitely performs differently than earlier versions on my Win 7 64-bit machine.

You could be right, of course, and Adobe may just be playing games with words. Once my new RAM chips arrive in the mail, I'll definitely be test driving it to see if it's taking full advantage of a heavier RAM load. But, from all indications, the 64-bit version is truly a 64-bit program.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)
                A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

If it is "support for 64 bit", one writer wrote for the Adobe web site for Premiere Pro CS4 explanation...that meant, that the program was designed with multiple exe so that each exe could command its own separate share of virtual address space. But, in this instance, you are still stuck with a 32 bit application with the max supported 4 GB installed RAM (physical memory). I will see if I can find that CS4 explanation in the likelihood that Premiere Elements 10 is really support rather than true 64 bit application. I suspect support for since Adobe's announcement did not say...we have a 64 bit application...rather it said support for 64 bit.

Just a quick add on...when you installed Premiere Elements 10 on your Windows 7, did it install to the "Program Files" or to the "Program Files (x86)"?

On another front...hope that I am not imposing...for the Share/Disc/AVCHD, your video did not show the Burn to options...can we assume that they are to a DVD disc or BluRay disc or just DVD disc?

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the link.

As speculated (by me, and a few others here), mid-September seemed like the "date."

Thank you for the link, and thanks to Steve G. for the additional info.

Hope that the "glitches" in PrE 9 have all been fixed in PrE 10.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)

Premiere Elements 10 installs into the PROGRAM FILES folder on Windows 7 64-bit. (Previous versions of the program, as well as Photo Elements 10, install to PROGRAM FILES (x86) ).

Is that a good indication?

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Sounding better for a real 64 bit application. I should have my purchased version in a few days so let us see. I know that the 32 bit application would typically go to the Program files (x86), but let us see and hope. What has me worried is Adobe's language about "support for 64bit".

To be continued...

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Adobe's language about "support for 64bit".

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere-elements/tech-specs.html

Windows 7 (Adobe® Premiere® Elements Editor runs native on 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems

To me, native means there is a 64bit version as well as a 32bit version

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thanks for the "sneak preview" on PrE 10.

Looks like I must get my mind around "Media Panel," from the old "Project Panel" name.

Just like learning "Share" from "Export," and then "Playhead" (in PrPro CS 5.5), from "CTI."

I'll need to keep my terminology updated!!!!

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

John T. Smith

I did see that information to which you referred. However, in the initial announcement for the product, all that was there was "support for 64 bit". In view of the history with Premiere Pro CS4 and CS5 comparison in this regard,  I interpreted that as "support for 64 bit" and not real 64 bit application. In spite of the other interpretation from the System Requirements, I would prefer to use the product before coming to the happy conclusion about a true 64 bit application for version 10. This preference is based on the long history of the early reports for these releases (Help PDF et al) which included information that just was no so.

The writing of the System Requirements and SG placement of the program files suggest that at last Premiere Elements has a 64 bit version. I hope so. I should have my purchased copy any day to work on that. We will know sooner than later if an Adobe representative should help me with a clarification here..

Did you get your copy of version 10 yet?

ATR

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)
                              PRE_help Adobe Employee

Premiere Elements 10 is a 64-bit application on Windows 7 - 64bit OS. We always supported 64-bit OSs but now we are native on Windows 7- 64bit. We have a separate installer for

this OS.

Regards,

Premiere Elements Team

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)
                                Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

That is very interesting, do you then buy a i7 64 bit version of this product ie., Premiere Elements 10

ie., Is there a 32 bit version and a 64 bit version , or are they combined ?

Message was edited by: Bob Dix Photographer

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)

Looking at the link I provided in #8 it does not say anything about having to buy different products, so I will presume both are on the same install disc and the correct installer runs based on detecting 32bit or 64bit

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

PRE_Help,

Thank you for that clarification. As you know, there can be some confusion with words like "certified for," "supported," etc., and this information is very helpful, indeed.

It is also nice that there are both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of PrE. This still is inclusive of all users still on 32-bit OS's, but allows improvements for those on a 64-bit OS. When PrPro went to 64-bit only, many did feel left out. There, Adobe included the 32-bit CS4, in the two suites, so that the user had some OS options - not quite the same as now with PrE 10, but great for those, who bought the suites, but were still working on 32-bit.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

This is but a guess on my part, but I would anticipate that Adobe has included a "smart installer" routine, that will survey the OS, and decide which version of PrE 10 to install. Perhaps PRE_Help can comment on the exact procedure, and give full clarification on exactly how the install works - smart, or with prompts for the user.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)

RE Smart Installer (my $.03 worth... inflation, ya know)

I have CS5 Master Collection, and Photoshop comes in 32bit and 64bit versions... been 1.5 years, but I **think** I chose to install only the 64bit version, since I did not have any 32bit plugins that I had purchased and wanted to use

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

John T.,

Thank you for bringing up the "3rd party plug-in" issue. I had not even given thought to that, as it can be an issue - just as it was, when PrPro CS 5 went 64-bit only. Even this much later, there are still some popular 3rd party plug-ins, that are not yet in 64-bit, so are useless in PrPro CS 5, or 5.5.

For PS, there are similar considerations, and Adobe ships both a 32-bit and a 64-bit version of PS. Many users, especially those with lots of favorite 32-bit Filters, etc., will install both - the 64-bit for more power and performance, and the 32-bit for use with those old Filters. From my readings, both coexist perfectly.

That might be a good reason to NOT have a "smart installer," but to allow a PrE user to choose, or perhaps even have both versions. Now, there are fewer 3rd party plug-ins for PrE, but there are still some, and if PrE 64-bit is at all like PrPro CS 5/5.5, then one would need a 64-bit version of the plug-in to work properly.

Hm-m, just more "stuff" to think about...

Thanks,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)

One thing I do NOT see mentioned at the info link is any use of CUDA/MPE so I will *guess* that even with the 64bit version Adobe decided not to add that into the source code

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Just another guess (been doing a lot of that lately), is that if there was CUDA/MPE support, Adobe would have made a pretty big deal of it. Remembering back to before the release of PrPro CS 5, there were touts for CUDA/MPE everywhere, and even more, when CS 5 was released. Though I disagree with some Adobe Marketing Dept. decisions, they are still pretty good at getting the buzz about new features, even if those seem slightly embellished...

Hunt

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

Many thanks for the clarification on whether or not Premiere Elements 10 is a true 64 bit application. That was indeed good news that it is.

If you have the time and are at liberty to speak about it....you wrote

"We always supported 64-bit OSs but now we are native on Windows 7- 64bit".

When you say always supported 64-bit OSs, are you referring to writing of your exe header so that the 32 bit application would get 4 GB of the virtual address space instead of 2 GB in the 64 bit system? In other words, you supported the 64 bit OS for virtual memory considerations previously, but not RAM considerations?

Others have spoken here about smart installers and such with regard to the program installation recognizing the OS. I have a question on that, but I may have the answer first hand when my Premiere Elements 10 PC, bundled with installation disc(s), arrives in a few days. Just how many installation discs are included in the bundle for Photoshop Elements 10 and Premiere Elements 10 or for that matter how many discs are included in the standalong Premiere Elements 10 (boxed)? I browsed through the thread here but did not see that information. I was not sure if those who already have the program are working from installation discs or online downloads.

Thank you again for taking the time to clarify these matters.

ATR

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)
                                                  PRE_help Adobe Employee

When you Buy Premiere Elements 10, you will get these discs

64 bit Win Disc - runs on Win7 64 only

32 bit Win Disc,  - runs on all other supported Win OS

Mac  - Runs on all Supported MAC

Win Content - Runs on all supported Win OS

Mac Content - Runs on all supported Mac OS

• 22. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)
                                                    PRE_help Adobe Employee

The 3rd party plugins will work with 64-bit Premiere Elements 10, if they are 64-bit themselves. For 32-bit external plugins, Premiere Elements installation has to be 32-bit. The vendor of these plugins has to ensure compatibility.

• 23. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

Many thanks for the information on the number of Premiere Elements 10 installation discs included with a "boxed" purchase of the program.

You have been very helpful in clarifying this and other matters related to the new version, and I look forward to working with my purchased (boxed) version 10 when it is delivered by mail tomorrow.

ATR

• 24. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

PRE_Help,

Thank you for these clarifications. They are most useful, and greatly appreciated.

Regarding the 3rd party Effects, historically, New BlueFX has provided several Effects & Transitions, that are included in PrE. Looking at the New BlueFX Web site, I cannot find mention of 64-bit Effects (for PrE 10-64, and PrPro CS5, or 5.5, and AE CS5, or 5.5). This could be due to the updating of their site's pages, or could be my not finding the right link to follow. In the 64-bit version of PrE 10, are the same New BlueFX Effects (obviously 64-bit versions) included, as with the 32-bit version of PrE 10?

It has taken some time for many suppliers of PrPro & AE Effects/plug-ins, to get the 64-bit versions out, and am just wondering if New BlueFX has released the 64-bit for PrE 10-64 yet.

To date, CineForm, Boris, Red Giant and others, have done pretty well at writing 64-bit versions of their top Effects, but as New BlueFX has worked so closely, and some of their portfolio has been included, I am wondering how far along they are.

In the same vein, I assume that SmartSound Express Tracks is still included in PrE 10. As they do have 64-bit support for their Sonicfire Pro (with a new 64-bit plug-in for PrPro CS5 and 5.5), I would hope so.

If you have a moment to comment on these 3rd party plug-ins, historically included in PrE, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for all of the info that you have provided. It will be greatly helpful to users of PrE 10.

Hunt

• 25. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)
                                                          tomthum Level 1

Hi all just ordered from Amazone U.K. PRICE £100.99p   free postage expected delivery5th October approx

Cheers Tomthumb

I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 61yr old body

• 26. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 61yr old body

Tom,

You are not alone in that respect. I'm right there too, but the body is even older - I forget HOW old, and wife is not handy to remind me...

Good luck, and hope that you enjoy PrE 10.

Hunt

• 27. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)

Thanks for the info> see this review in PC World UK

.httpIf it is true , it is worse than PE 4 which does H.264 mov very easily ?

regards,

Bob

Ps Sorry Photoshop is ok , Premiere Elements 10 is not well reviewed in PC World UK, see    
                                                              http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/software/370027/adobe-premiere-elements-10

Message was edited by: Bob Dix Photographer

• 28. Re: Premiere Elements 10 Announced this morning (9-20-11)

This link add on is not working very well, see>

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/software/370027/adobe-premiere-elements-10

This review is not a glowing endorsement ? I accidentally sent the review on

Adobe Photoshop which causes No problems at all.

Regards,

Bob