• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blurry screen when resizing Browser window (IE)

Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am encountering this curious issue: The exported content looks blurry when the Browser window (IE 8) is maximised, but looks fine and crisp when the window is resizesed to a smaller size. I didn't touch the html. This issue may be connected with the one described in this post: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3605847#3605847

I use captivate 5. Any suggestions appreciated.

Best regards

Jan

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 28, 2011 Sep 28, 2011

I don't think this is a bug in Captivate.  I think it's a bug in the browser software.  It's claiming to resize ONLY that area on display OUTSIDE the content, but it's actually changing the dimensions of the Captivate movie ever so slightly at the same time.

Try going into the published HTM code with a text editor and altering the height and width dimensions shown there for the Captivate SWF to play.  Usually these are set at exactly the right pixel values for height and width of the Captivate st

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guten Tag, Jan,

Captivate is all about bitmap, so it is a bit normal that the output will become blurry when the resolution is set to a higher one than the resolution of the original file. That is the reason why it is a good practice to design for the resolution you want for the output and start the SWF from the HTML-file which will keep the resolution fixed.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Lilybiri,

I didn't modify the html file that is exported along with the swf. I just maximized the browser window to full screen. In that case, the resolution of the swf should stay the same, however, the content becomes slightly blurry.

BTW, the issue doesn't occur with Google Chrome, so it seems to be IE-related.

Best regards

Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use ClearType? Try turning it off.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2011 Sep 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't seem to be a Clear Type issue, since not only text but also graphics are affected. The whole swf gets slightly blurry when the html-page ist maximized.

Best regards

Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appear to be encountering the same issue.

To clarify to anyone who comes across this post:

• I exported a Captivate project (out of Captivate 5) to an SWF file.
  • I am opening the SWF file using the HTML file that was automatically created by Captivate.
  • I did modify the HTML file, but NOT the resolution (or size) of the SWF embedded in the HTML file. All I modified was adding a padding and margin value of 0 to the body so as to not having space around my SWF.

The results I get when opening the SWF using the HTML file:

• When the Internet Explorer (v8) broswer window is maximized the text is blurry.
  • When the Internet Explorer (v8) browser window is resized to any size smaller than the maximum the text is clear.

NOTE: The SWF file is NOT scaling beyond it's original resolution (or size). That would be an obvious reason for the text to be blurry. Despite the fact that the SWF is the original resolution (or size) the text is blurry when the IE broswer window is maximed.

I have seen this same issue posted in many places, but no resolution. Usually everyone assumes the user is scaling the SWF to cause the blurry text. That is definitely not the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this is a bug in Captivate.  I think it's a bug in the browser software.  It's claiming to resize ONLY that area on display OUTSIDE the content, but it's actually changing the dimensions of the Captivate movie ever so slightly at the same time.

Try going into the published HTM code with a text editor and altering the height and width dimensions shown there for the Captivate SWF to play.  Usually these are set at exactly the right pixel values for height and width of the Captivate stage.  Alter them by one pixel in each dimension only.  Try going up one pixel first. Then down in size one pixel. Then maybe up or down 2 pixels. Each time you edit these parameters, save the HTM file and try launching the module in your browser maximised and see if you can find a dimension at which the text is sharp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2011 Sep 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

That did it. All I had to do was adjust the width of my SWF in the HTML file, by increasing it 1 pixel. Now all the text is clear when the Internet Explorer (v8) broswer window is maximized. I don't know if the same thing may work for j-wa, but I don't see why not. I assumed it was a browser issue considering it only seems to happen in Internet Explorer. I just didn't know where to begin though.

You just restored my faith in the point of posting on a forum. I have found many solutions on forums, but never had anyone respond and solve my issue for my post... let alone that quickly!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2012 Jan 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MMiller @ RJ wrote:

Rod,

That did it. All I had to do was adjust the width of my SWF in the HTML file, by increasing it 1 pixel. Now all the text is clear when the Internet Explorer (v8) broswer window is maximized. I don't know if the same thing may work for j-wa, but I don't see why not. I assumed it was a browser issue considering it only seems to happen in Internet Explorer. I just didn't know where to begin though.

You just restored my faith in the point of posting on a forum. I have found many solutions on forums, but never had anyone respond and solve my issue for my post... let alone that quickly!

Thanks!

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I wanted to mention that I had the same problem with Captivate 5.5 and the lastest version of IE9. Increasing the width (962) one pixel in the line below in the .htm file fixed the issue for me. I wasted hours trying to sort this. Kudos to RodWard and this should be marked"answered." Cheers.

var so = new SWFObject("my_project.swf", "Captivate", "962", "565", "10", "#CCCCCC");

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2012 Feb 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In my case, the workaround suggested by Rod improved image quality somewhat. However, there was a considerable improvement in sharpness when I included a controlbar in the project (via skin editor). Curiously, Captivate then automatically added the "extra pixels" in the html, just as suggested by Rod.

Best regards

Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources