1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 20, 2011 7:26 AM by peter minneapolis

Successfully importing cross-references from Microsoft Word into InDesign?

wikiElvis

Hello --

I am laying out a series of long documents (~130 pages each) in InDesign CS5.5.

The writer for the project has used cross-references in MS Word for areas like the TOC, index and page references ("See page X for more information").

Is it possible to import these cross-references into InDesign so that the InDesign document functions like the Word document with the cross-references?

I am thinking no because I am having a ton of trouble with it so far, but wanted to get a definite answer from an expert.

When I import the text, the cross-references appear in InDesign in the Hyperlinks/cross-reference panel. However, InDesign says they need to be updated based on the way the text flowed in InDesign. And when I click the auto update button, all sorts of funky stuff happens and basically -- the cross-references create a bunch of typos and become junk.

Thoughts? Knowledge on this topic?

Thanks in advance!!

• 1. Re: Successfully importing cross-references from Microsoft Word into InDesign?
          peter minneapolis Level 4

wikiElvis wrote:

Hello --

I am laying out a series of long documents (~130 pages each) in InDesign CS5.5.

The writer for the project has used cross-references in MS Word for areas like the TOC, index and page references ("See page X for more information").

Is it possible to import these cross-references into InDesign so that the InDesign document functions like the Word document with the cross-references?

I am thinking no because I am having a ton of trouble with it so far, but wanted to get a definite answer from an expert.

When I import the text, the cross-references appear in InDesign in the Hyperlinks/cross-reference panel. However, InDesign says they need to be updated based on the way the text flowed in InDesign. And when I click the auto update button, all sorts of funky stuff happens and basically -- the cross-references create a bunch of typos and become junk.

Thoughts? Knowledge on this topic?

Thanks in advance!!

I can't speak to general or specific causes of your cross-reference problems. However, I believe that InDesign x-refs behave a bit differently in CS4, CS5, and CS5.5, and if you have either of these earlier releases, you might try them for comparison.

Also, you might want to look into the free trial of DTP Tools' cross-references plug-in for InDesign, at dtptools.com, to see if it's more successful than InDesign's built-in x-refs.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices