8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2011 9:24 PM by Video@SouthpointCCC

Blur specific color

Toomany3 Level 1

Is there a way to blur a specific color range in Premiere?  The three-way color corrector and RGB Curves have a secondary color corrector option where you can dial in your color range you want to select, which is great!

But is there a way to do the same thing with a blur? I want to select a certain range of colors--skin tones in my case--and blur just that range.  You probably already figured out why, but what I need to do is soften some skin that's a little rough and I would like to keep the project out of AE if possible.

• 1. Re: Blur specific color
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Did you try Channel Blur? If that doesn't work, I've got another suggestion for you...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Blur specific color
            Toomany3 Level 1

Not really.  It blurs out too much of everthing else that are similarly colored.

Any way to do some sort of luma matte plus screen overlay like you can in AE?  PP seems to be able to do an excellent job detecting the color in any of the secondary color correctors, and it even can get a matte of it.  But instead of wanting to change the color of that matted area, I want to just change the blur.

Thanks for the first suggestion!  What's your second one? 

• 3. Re: Blur specific color
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Well, you're already on the right track...

V1: Your original clip

V2: Another copy of the clip + Track Matte key set to Matte Luma and Video 3 + blur of your choice

V3: A third copy of the clip + CC effect of your choice with secondary CC isolating the color/chroma you want to blur and Output set to Mask

See where I'm going with this?

• 4. Re: Blur specific color
                Toomany3 Level 1

I think Adobe should pay you, and pay you good!  Just what the doctor ordered!  Too bad there isn't a way to just do it on one layer like with the secondary color corrector, it would keep the project cleaner, but it works quite well and the steps are simple enough!  Thanks again, Colin. 

Todd, put this guy on your payroll!

• 5. Re: Blur specific color
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Haha! I wish

I agree--I'd love a smarter chroma/color blur. One place where I ALWAYS want it is when doing chromakeying in Premiere Pro with Ultra. In AE, Keylight has a pre-blur that you can use to clean up noise inside, say, the green channel. That would make for much easier/cleaner keys with less-than-perfect footage. Ultra does a decent job, but every now and then... ummm... we screw up

Come to think of it, you could probably use Ultra to create the mask layer; just set its output to Alpha Channel and change Track Matte to use Matte Alpha. What's nice about this is that you can blur the mask with Ultra, which is something you can't do with a CC effect alone--you'd have to pair it with a blur effect to do that.

Hmm... guess we know what time it is!

• 6. Re: Blur specific color
                    Toomany3 Level 1

Hmm... guess we know what time it is!

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform ?   I have it bookmarked.

• 7. Re: Blur specific color
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Funny. I have it automatically open in a tab. Gotta do what you can to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome!

• 8. Re: Blur specific color
                        Video@SouthpointCCC Level 1

"Too bad there isn't a way to just do it on one layer like with the secondary color corrector, it would keep the project cleaner, but it works quite well and the steps are simple enough!"

Couldn't you simply nest the clips when you are done to keep your main timeline pristine?