5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2011 11:53 PM by mckayk_777

InDesign CS3/Snow Leopard long print delay. Solved yet?

John Grissim

I have Adobe CS3 Design Premium running on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 (on a Mac Mini dual core Intel w/ plenty of RAM) and while using In Design I am experiencing delays of 38-45 seconds when I use the print command (w/ spinning beach ball), even with simple 1-page test docs. I notice earlier threads on this topic, with some describing crashes (not an issue for me). Others say it's an issue for Adobe and or Apple, and the printer mfrs. (I use an HP 1300 laser).  I can live with it (because ID is a wonderful app for book layouts)  but it is vexing. Has anyone come up with a solution or a workaround yet?  Any advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

John Grissimn

• 1. Re: InDesign CS3/Snow Leopard long print delay. Solved yet?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It's HIGHLY unlikley that you will see any sort of patch issued for CS3, even if this is something that could potentially be solved by Adobe. CS3 is just too far back in the pipeline now to receive attention, and while I don't keep track of OS release dates on Mac, seems to me that 10.6.8 was released long after CS3, so you should not expect perfect compatibility.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS3/Snow Leopard long print delay. Solved yet?
            John Grissim Level 1

Thanks for your helpful response. Your point is well taken. Now that I know the issue is not fixable, I'll simply live with it and count my blessings. I consider my question answered.

• 3. Re: InDesign CS3/Snow Leopard long print delay. Solved yet?
              mckayk_777 Level 2

One problem I was able to fix was the delay when printing for the first time each day, What is happening is Indesign has to read a pile of printer profiles or such like before it gives you the print dialog, but after you have printed once each day the print dialog then opens and prints fast from then on... is this the problem you are having...

There has been a discussion about this in the past and here is a link to it

http://www.coolestguyplanet.net/slow-print-adobe-indesign-document/

If this is the problem you are having this should help

Personally I no longer have a delay in printing and its all to do with the mac and how many printer ppd's resident on your Mac.

• 4. Re: InDesign CS3/Snow Leopard long print delay. Solved yet?
                John Grissim Level 1

Bingo! You absolutely described my problem.  Indeed, the long delay was only when printing from an ID file the first time each day. Thereafter the delay was minimal.  As important, the link you kindly provided gave me the precise fix. ID was taking a long time to load a huge number of Printer Device Drivers, close to a thousand, before the print command dialog box showed up. Clearly the system was needlessly bloated.

Per the link's instructions, I went to the Printer Device Drivers in my Mac Mini's library and deleted all but the PPDs I needed. After restarting my Mac and re-launching ID, the print command produced the print dialog box immediately. Hooray! Problem solved and question answered.

FWIW, although recent and current CS iterations may not have this problem, it appears this issue has been around awhile with several earlier versions of ID and PS and various Mac OS versions. I'm sure your posting will be a great help to those experiencing the same problem with earlier iterations.

I am hugely grateful. Many thanks!

John Grissim

Sequim, WA

• 5. Re: InDesign CS3/Snow Leopard long print delay. Solved yet?
                  mckayk_777 Level 2

We use CS4 here and the problem was still happening with that version, not sure about CS5 but have noticed on intel machine with CS4 the delay is a lot shorter then with my PowerPC.