11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2012 11:35 AM by Peter Spier

Font problem Mac to PC

Barbara07 Level 1

Not sure where the appropriate forum is to post this question. Opening files in Indesign from an agency; their fonts will not load on PC here. Note they are almost all either True Type or Open Type fonts so, they should open. Does this have something to do with the fact that they are using Adobe Type Manager or a 3rd party font management application?

I actually cannot move the fonts to the font folder on the pc.

• 1. Re: Font problem Mac to PC
          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

The agency is probably running on Macintoshes and is probably likely using either Macintosh Type 1 or Macintosh TrueType format fonts. Otherwise, they should simply be installable on your Windows system. If the font files look like they are zero bytes in length, they are indeed Macintosh format only fonts and you are effectively out of luck unless you can get exact match Windows format fonts.

Real OpenType fonts files are compatible with both Windows and Macintosh without a problem.

Adobe Type Manager has been discontinued for years. Your agency cannot be using it. And even if they are using some other font manager, the font file wouldn't be modified by same.

- Dov

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Font problem Mac to PC
            Barbara07 Level 1

Thanks Dov, of course they are running Macs -- they are apparently normal, unlike the place I'm working. I emailed the fonts TT and OT fonts to somebody outside with a pc and his computer recognized them. So...there seems to be some kind of a restriction on my font folder which I'll have to investigate further; but note that even the fonts that "should" load do not show a file icon. Their icon is that broken silver thumbnail one gets on files that Windows won't or can't recognize.

Also, there are several fonts that show a zero file size. So they are Mac only fonts then.

Any othe thoughts?

• 3. Re: Font problem Mac to PC
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What do you mean by "recognized"? Windows systems will "see" Mac-flavored fonts, but only the data fork, which is empty. The real font info in these fonts is strored in the resource fork which Windows never uses. OT fonts are cross platform, so they should be working fine 00 it's only the TT and T1 fonts that have an issue. If the font size is listed as 0 bytes, as Dov has said, it's a Mac-only font.

• 4. Re: Font problem Mac to PC
                Barbara07 Level 1

Thanks Peter, you are saying essentially the same thing I just said, but providing more information about what I meant. Thanks.

• 5. Re: Font problem Mac to PC
                  Barbara07 Level 1

Peter, if my friend's is able to load the OT fonts on his PC, which is how we tested it...what might be going with my windows 7 font folder? Obviously it's restricting what goes in there. What's the way around that? Thanks in advance.

• 6. Re: Font problem Mac to PC

A certain amount of cross-posting is inevitable around here.

When you look at the font's file properties on your PC, is it marked as read-only or any thing else unusual? I can't off the top of my head, think of why you'd have trouble installing an OT font. Have you tried right-clicking it and choosing to install?

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Font problem Mac to PC
                      Barbara07 Level 1

Guys, I figured it out. I won't bore you with my pedestrian fumbling...because I learned a few very basic but important things via your answers/information.

• 8. Re: Font problem Mac to PC

Well, if you can stand the embarrassment (nobody will ever really know who you are) it may help some other poor soul who comes to this thread with the same issue if you tell us what you did.

• 9. Re: Font problem Mac to PC
                          Barbara07 Level 1

I'd love to keep you entertained...and though I am really not easily embarrassed: even I would not admit this anonymously. While I'm nowhere near the status of "expert" on the vast range of knowledge herein, what I did was what one would expect from a Manhattan 18 year old, who lives on nothing but sugar and soda, got a job at the counter at Kinko's and fully utilizes a vocabulary of 10 words, including "ite?"

• 10. Re: Font problem Mac to PC
                            gjohung

I worki in a Acive Directroy enviromaent..

some Mac Fonts went it "passes" through a PC volume.. it looses something - file size becomes 64K. and becomes unusuable.. Zip it in Mac... send it in PC envoirement or copy. move.. etc...unzip it back on a Mac..

• 11. Re: Font problem Mac to PC

I'm not sure I know what you are asking. A Mac-format TT or T1 font is going to lose its resource fork if it travels through a pc system unzipped.