10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2011 10:29 AM by lasvideo

Question about archiving projects

ptl-2010 Level 1

I have about 60-70 projects on my working disc and plan to archive them this winter during our down time. I've watched a few tutorials on how to use the Project Manager to consolidate a project, but I was wondering how far this thing goes. Almost all of my projects have AE comps in them, which use pictures, footage, ect, from other places on the hard drive. Will this actually pull these file into the archive too?

• 1. Re: Question about archiving projects
          Colin Brougham Level 6

It'll grab most footage items--video, audio, photos, etc.--but it won't trim the vast majority (footage, specifically). It'll create a big mushed up folder of media--you may have to do a little housecleaning afterward. AE comps don't come along--well, they stay in the Premiere Pro project, but the AE projects aren't copied. I just copy those over manually, and then relink them--kind of a pain.

I'd recommend doing a test at your leisure to figure out a good workflow. Personally, I gave up on the Project Manager a long time ago, especially once I went HD. Hard drives are cheap enough these days--I just ordered 4x 2TB drives and a RAID5 unit for about 6TB of total storage for $400 today--that I find it easier to copy everything over wholesale. I try to be conscious on the front-end what I'm putting into the project, and where the media is actually located.

• 2. Re: Question about archiving projects
            ptl-2010 Level 1

Ah that's what I was worried about... I think I'll stick to my original plan of just copying my working drive onto another disc just how it is. Every project I do is already in a self contained folder, with all product specific files and footage. Only a few universal items like backgrounds and soundtracks are stored in a "templates and reusables" folder, and I'll just add that folder to the backup and re-link a few things if I ever need to go back to something. I was gonna try to move the projects over once they're completed and the clients have there data copies using the project manager, that way I could trim some of the fat and not have to worry about not being able to find the backing tracks and such.

• 3. Re: Question about archiving projects
              5004sqdn Level 1

Colin:

I very much respect your knowledge and the answers you give in the forums and I have learned much from you and the other regulars. Now, on the point of archiving finsihed projects - a question.I have read in a couple of books that archiving to hardrives is not the best but rather to some special raid setups that cost a fair amount of money. Do hardrives eventually fail to protect stored media over time?

Trevor

• 4. Re: Question about archiving projects
                lasvideo Level 4

You have bumped into the $64,000 question that EVERYONE in the video industry is baffled about. There is no definitive answer to the question...what is the best way to archive? The choices are...

1. Hard drives-They will inevitably fail due to their mechanical nature.

2. DVD - Doesnt hold enough information

3. Blue Ray DVD - Not a widely supported technology for storage and unproven performance over many years.

4. LTFS  / LTO-5  A magnetic tape storage system that seems to be the next trend, but very slow and very expensive.

If you Google "Archiving digital media" you will see that many folks are concenred over this unresolved question. There needs to be a universal format that has longevity and speed (when things need reediting).

• 5. Re: Question about archiving projects
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

How you backup and what you backup to is all about taking a calculated risk. In other words, what's it worth to you?

Ultimately, whatever method you choose, I think redundancy is the most important factor. It doesn't matter if you have half-a-dozen backups, if they're all in the same place and the building burns down, they're all gone.

Yes, hard drives are flimsy and fail, but you can easily duplicate a backup and store them in separate locations; then, make regular maintenance checks to see if they're viable. The probability of two backups failing simultaneously is astronomically low; the probability of one backup failing is astronomically high. For the average person, most dedicated backup systems are too far out of reach, pricewise and from an infrastructure standpoint. Duplicating hard drives is pretty crude, but it's cheap so long as you exercise due diligence.

• 6. Re: Question about archiving projects
                    joe bloe premiere Level 5

I have found this to be a reasonable evaluation tool for long-term storage options:

Sustainability of Digital Formats Planning for Library of Congress Collections

• 7. Re: Question about archiving projects
                      lasvideo Level 4

Joe, since you provided the link to this document, could you point out where it mentions any reference to which hardware has been evaluated for archival purposes. All I see is a lot of techno yakking about formats. The OP seemed to express concern about archiving project files to a storage medium and from there the conversation expanded to includ the viability of various storage mediums. I would think a paper like this would address both format and physical storage so did I miss that somewhere in this piece?

• 8. Re: Question about archiving projects
                        5004sqdn Level 1

Thank you Colin and I think lasvideo also nailed it re the relative temporary storage dilemna we have at this time. Your suggstion re regular backups in duplication etc seems to be the prudent resolution and, since external hardrives are not overly expensive, I will travel that road.

best wishes to all and thanks also to joe bloe for his input.

Trevor

• 9. Re: Question about archiving projects
                          joe bloe premiere Level 5

Granted, you have to poke around a bit... (it's a Government site),

but there are studies on the long-term sustainability of various

digital media storage formats.

Some are web pages, some are .pdf documents.

for example:

Preservation of Digital Materials

• 10. Re: Question about archiving projects
                            lasvideo Level 4

Thanks Joe. Im  seeing some papers that address that issue.